Leaving espresso machine ON 24/7 vs turning it on & off 4 times a day. - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
arcus
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by arcus »

My machine takes a long time to warm up and it's not unusual for me to have an espresso later in the evening (I have a high tolerance for caffeine) so I'm starting to think it's not worth it to use a timer. I've been leaving it on 24/7 for over a month now and I'll probably continue with that for now. I'll figure out a less important area where I can cut back to keep my carbon footprint neutral.

Charlene

#12: Post by Charlene »

baldheadracing wrote:Good thing that the coils are in litres of water, then!
If they weren't, and the overheat protection circuit fails, it bye-bye coils, eh?

ira
Team HB

#13: Post by ira replying to Charlene »

More likely bye-bye pressure relief and if that fails too, bye-bye room. Not likely the coils will fail if there is still water in the boiler.

Ira

Charlene

#14: Post by Charlene replying to ira »

The coils are not likely to fail early if treated with respect but, I will say this... home water heater coils do fail and they are typically maintained in a bath of hot water 24/7. I simply stated the concern I have and why I do what I do.

ira
Team HB

#15: Post by ira replying to Charlene »

But not likely because the water got too hot, more likely because of scale or corrosion.

Ira

Charlene

#16: Post by Charlene replying to ira »

I don't think we are on the same page, Ira. I wasn't referring to heat of the water. I was referring to metal expansion and contraction of the coils themselves by bringing them up to temp then powering them off letting them go back to ambient repeatedly everyday. Perhaps, I wasn't clear on that.

I agree that sediment buildup in the tank is a common cause for heating element failure.

I don't want to get into a last word battle so I'll leave it at that.

ira
Team HB

#17: Post by ira »

Charlene wrote:I don't think we are on the same page, Ira. I wasn't referring to heat of the water. I was referring to metal expansion and contraction of the coils themselves by bringing them up to temp then powering them off letting them go back to ambient repeatedly everyday. Perhaps, I wasn't clear on that.

While I'm not sure this is an issue, I'm willing to accept it might be, but that's not what I was responding to.

Ira