Hayes Valley vs Hologram - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Nate42

#11: Post by Nate42 »

randomorbit wrote:That's very similar if not the same as their recommendation for 17 foot ceiling. I found it quite puzzling. Isn't that basically a ristretto? I tend to pul at least double the volume of dose, erring on the side of more, so I didn't actually try the 17 foot ceiling like that.
Yes that's very ristretto, but that's what tastes good for certain types of roasts. I have 17 foot ceiling right now, and I am pulling it 21 grams in 21 grams out in a VST triple basket. They recommend a ratio closer to 2:1 for lighter things like the Opascope.

You like what you like and everyone's setup is different, but you should at least give it a shot at their recommended parameters.

randomorbit

#12: Post by randomorbit »

atao wrote:I agree, I would try to pull to 30g or 40g yield and see how that tastes. Its just more difficult to get enough extraction at such small yields. I also tend to find that the high doses (20g) are also more of a challenge, at least with my equipment, I was having to use a really big basket to avoid puck expansion / donut problems. So when I last worked with 17ft ceiling, I was using 17g in and 34-40g out.
Yes my stock Gaggia basket can't quite take 18 grams. The 21g triple basket that came with my bottomless PF gives soupy pucks down at 18g, but I don't think that harms the shot. Still I'm thinking a basket where 18-20 is the sweet spot would be ideal for these types of recipes. I ordered the espressoparts 14g ridgeless, hoping that will be a good one, but if it turns out not to be an improvement over the Gagga 14g basket I'm only out $7, and I'll invest in a LM 17g.

randomorbit

#13: Post by randomorbit »

Nate42 wrote:Yes that's very ristretto, but that's what tastes good for certain types of roasts. I have 17 foot ceiling right now, and I am pulling it 21 grams in 21 grams out in a VST triple basket. They recommend a ratio closer to 2:1 for lighter things like the Opascope.

You like what you like and everyone's setup is different, but you should at least give it a shot at their recommended parameters.
I will certainly do that with the Hayes Valley when it gets here.

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Moxiechef »

Double post

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by Moxiechef »

I use a 20g VST basket with a convex tamper(but don't tell anyone).

My Pullman and St. Anthony's tampers both give this bean a donut extraction that after about ten seconds covers the bottom of the basket. The pucks are also much less hydrated towards the middle. The convex tamper, which is a 58.35mm, literally starts out covering nearly the entire bottom at once. And you can taste the difference.

I RDT, shake in a LynWeber shaker, pull the plunger, shake it level and tamp.