Central OH (Columbus) Coffee Enthusiasts

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
dale_cooper

#1: Post by dale_cooper »

Tried to bump the old Central, OH thread but it was too old to even do that....

There are far too many quality roasters and shops around Columbus to not have an active thread or group on here. My favorites before I started roasting myself were Cafe Brioso, One Line, and Thunderkiss.... Of course crimson cup won roaster of the year for 2016, quite an achievement.

Sean (director of Education) at One Line Coffee seems to be leading the way when it comes to coffee education around town. He hosts free cuppings almost every Sunday - those have been GREAT for discussion and trying to build the flavor pallette (at least for me as a home roaster). They also host brewing workshops, and most recently a flavor wheel event! http://www.onelinecoffee.com/education/

Crimson cup has their innovation lab but I don't see them hosting events too often which is a shame, although I think its more suited for educating clients - http://www.crimsoncup.com/the-innovation-lab

I know Mission Coffee in short north has also hosted events.

I roast primarily for myself right now with a Huky (and before that it was popcorn popper, behmor, hottop). Just wondering who else may be in the area that really really enjoys coffee, and or would like to meetup.

UPCOMING EVENTS

November 15th - La Marzocco on the Road - https://www.eventbrite.com/e/la-marzocc ... 7737987066

December 4th - Columbus Coffee Fest 2016 at the Ohio Village

Advertisement
jhadsell1883

#2: Post by jhadsell1883 »

I definitely think this is a needed thread. I live about an hour outside of Columbus and work in Westerville. We love the coffee scene in town including all the vendors you mentioned. I couldn't go to the espresso event but did make it to the coffee fest. Hopefully they will continue to have it considering the attendance was excellent. We really enjoyed the event although we had been to many of the shops represented. There were a few I really enjoyed that I hadn't tried including Roosevelt and silver bridge.

dale_cooper (original poster)

#3: Post by dale_cooper (original poster) »

A reply, its a miracle - Happy New Year Jeff !

I work/live near Westerville. Maybe if more people post, we could do a meet somewhere or coordinate with a Sunday cupping at one line assuming they start back up. I would host a cupping but unfortunately don't have the space.

By the way, I could not believe Cafe Brioso was serving a Ninety Plus Ethiopian Gesha coffee which I believe was over $60/lb GREEN :shock: . I think Jeff Davis (the owner) is a true coffee geek and that shows in bringing that coffee to a public event where 90% of people there probably don't realize how special that coffee was.... They also were brewing it on a super geeky aeropress type machine that had a PID to regulate brew temperature.

Some very good Kenyans at the coffee fest - really enjoy Boston Stoker's and Stauf's Kenya offerings.

jhadsell1883

#4: Post by jhadsell1883 »

I can't remember which ones I tried from Cafe Brioso, Boston Stoker, or Stauf's but I did try some from all of them. I believe the Ethiopian from Cafe Brioso was one of the options they were selling at $25 for 10oz bag. I did purchase a some beans from Cafe Brioso and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also yesterday we were downtown Columbus for a company event and stopped at the Roosevelt Coffeehouse on the way out of town. I picked up a bag of Stumptown's Hairbender which I have not tried before. It was roasted about a week ago so that's not bad compared to the typical Lavazza from Amazon I use. I also really enjoyed the atmosphere at Roosevelt. It was an mostly open/renovated warehouse feel with great music playing on vinyl. Not something I have really gotten into but definitely appreciated the sound. The espresso bar was very nice with a similar style to what Crimson cup has. It's not just a espresso machine but only has the top portion above the bar for brewing/steaming. All the pump, boiler, etc is stored under the counter so it provides for a minimalist look. Makes it easier to be able to watch the Barista's work, especially with a bottomless portafilter.

They also had donuts from Destination Donuts (located in the North Market) that were so good. We had them before while at North Market and then realized where they were from after checking out the website later.

I would definitely be in favor of meeting up at one of the many locations in Columbus. It's too bad there isn't something closer to Westerville as that would make for a much easier meeting place considering where we work/live.