Cup Temperature for Lever Espresso Machines

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
another_jim
Team HB

#1: Post by another_jim »

I'm thinking cool may be better than heated for most lever users.

If you like a big, gloppy, crema bomb of a shot, chances are you are not using a lever machine. And to me these are the shots that taste better in heated cups. I've been doing ultra-delicate singles for the last few months, and these work better for me in cool cups, similar to brewed coffee, since they seem to taste best not piping hot, but just comfortably warm.

What do you all think?
Jim Schulman

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I've generally been using room temperature cappuccino cups for most straight shots. The larger, cooler mass makes for easy swirling and rapid cooling. Bonus is less risk of errant splatters with a wider mouth cup under the group if I get a channel.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
grog

#3: Post by grog »

I prefer room temp cups for my shots, for the reason you note: I think the more delicate tea-like flavors in coffee come out better at lower temps. I've never enjoyed piping-hot anything (soup, tea, coffee, etc). You can't taste anything at near-boiling temperatures. Heated cups just compound the problem.
LMWDP #514

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

another_jim wrote: I've been doing ultra-delicate singles for the last few months, and these work better for me in cool cups, similar to brewed coffee, since they seem to taste best not piping hot, but just comfortably warm.
I'm wondering what single basket are you using for singles in (I presume) the Strega?

As for cup temps, I pre-warm my ceramic cups, but I've been roasting well into second crack recently. With light roasts I'll use double-wall glass cups, and those I've used at room temp since Tim Wendelboe promoted room-temperature cups in his espresso Periscope.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

[creative nickname]

#5: Post by [creative nickname] »

I prefer both my shots and my brewed coffee around 140F. For most shots, a room temperature, thick walled demitasse seems to get me in the ballpark without too much fuss. For lungos I use a cappuccino cup, for the same reason.

I only bother with preheating when making milk drinks.
LMWDP #435

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

I pull all my big, gloppy, crema bombs (pump or lever) into a nice thick, room temp ACF Macchiato cup. Not a fan of singles or delicate shots so no opinion on which works better for those.
LMWDP 267

SAB

#7: Post by SAB »

Room temperature cups for me for several years. As you say, subtle taste differentiations more accessible with slightly cooler beverage temp. I think hot cups were designed to hide the poor flavor of overroasted, and perhaps over extracted espresso in the old country...

Advertisement
SlowRain

#8: Post by SlowRain »

I've been pulling shots into room-temperature cups for about a year or so now. I only preheat my cups if I'm going to make a cappuccino.

CwD

#9: Post by CwD »

I preheat cups in the winter, since I keep it about 60°f inride. I don't in the summer when it's about 80°f inside. So I guess I like it just slightly warmer than room temperature.

Whale

#10: Post by Whale »

I always (when I have one available) use a pre-heated cup because they are readily available from the top of the main machine, for levers or pump machine.
I do let the shot cool slightly and the crema settle before I taste the shot. I like the taste better cooler most of the time. My own non-arguable preference. :D
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.