Do you always need to stir coffee when using bottomless?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Jacksen

#1: Post by Jacksen »

Hi All, i was wondering when making latte or cappuccino using the bottomless portafilter do you use a spoon to stir the espresso first then pour in the milk or just mix milk to espresso immediately?

sluflyer06

#2: Post by sluflyer06 »

At the rate your pouring the milk in to sink it below the surface of the espresso before slowing your pour there seems to be more than enough mixing going on in my opinion to not stir.

bluesman

#3: Post by bluesman »

Jacksen wrote:Hi All, i was wondering when making latte or cappuccino using the bottomless portafilter do you use a spoon to stir the espresso first then pour in the milk or just mix milk to espresso immediately?
What are you trying to accomplish? I don't stir at all....ever. If the variegation on the surface of the shot is dramatic and I want to make beautiful art, I swirl the cup gently for a second to smooth out the crema coloration before pouring in the milk. But other than that, I don't see any reason to disturb the shot before pouring the milk.

Jacksen (original poster)

#4: Post by Jacksen (original poster) replying to bluesman »

I was told that using bottomless filter means espresso is not mixed as well as using the spouted where the liquid does not fall straight down , helping with the flavors mix together. I want to accomplish a more balanced,thorough shot .

brianl

#5: Post by brianl »

Jacksen wrote:I was told that using bottomless filter means espresso is not mixed as well as using the spouted where the liquid does not fall straight down , helping with the flavors mix together. I want to accomplish a more balanced,thorough shot .
This is more true for straight espresso. Back when I used a bottomless I just had an oversized espresso cup and swirled it.

LukeFlynn

#6: Post by LukeFlynn »

When pulling bottomless for straight espresso, I like to decant it (pull shot in shot glass, pour into demi). This really mixes up the espresso and removes that gritty-like texture from bottomless PFs.

For milk drinks, I just swirl it a bunch.

JR_Germantown

#7: Post by JR_Germantown replying to LukeFlynn »

I'll never understand this. Unless you just enjoy licking the crema from the shot glasses. ;)

Jack

h3yn0w

#8: Post by h3yn0w »

I always swirl around the espresso in the cup before adding this milk. I find this helps integrate the crema and prevent excess bitterness in the top layer.

LukeFlynn

#9: Post by LukeFlynn »

JR_Germantown wrote:I'll never understand this. Unless you just enjoy licking the crema from the shot glasses. ;)

Jack
The real treat is licking the bottom of the basket, that's where all the good stuff is. Works best with VSTs. Better yet, the bottom of a chrome plated portafilter is a taste-bud overload.

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

JR_Germantown wrote:I'll never understand this. Unless you just enjoy licking the crema from the shot glasses. ;)
Doesn't everybody?