Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
LanceMagnum

#11: Post by LanceMagnum »

Bar Harbor - only place in town I consistently find a decent or better straight shot is Choco-Latte. The Independent is my next choice.

earlgrey_44 (original poster)

#12: Post by earlgrey_44 (original poster) »

So the recent trip to Acadia gave opportunity to drink coffee in a few places in Portland. The Tandem Bakery https://www.tandemcoffee.com/on Congress St was just a short walk from out hotel, and provided a truly spectacular pastry and quiche breakfast, with excellent milk drinks to wash it down. We didn't make it to Bard, unfortunately.

Dinner at Hugo's http://www.hugos.net resulted in an encounter with some great food but also a really exceptional coffee service. On the menu were three coffees, an Ethiopian /Guatemalan blend, a Honduran, and a Guatemalan Antigua, all from Tandem, brewed press, siphon, and pour over respectively. It's remarkable enough to find three fine specialty coffees integrated with a high-end dining operation, but to also find three separate brew methods was a first for us.

The approach was to support the coffee prep stations by positioning them between the cocktail bar and the rest of the service area. Master bartender Paul would always handle any siphon orders in between cocktails, and other staff could move in to prepare pour over and press orders if the bar was too slammed for him to cover those too. Many fine dining operations struggle with the inclusion of even one method of excellent coffee prep, much less three, but here it works.

The siphon station on the bar at Hugos.

The pour over/press station is across from the siphons next to the bar prep area.

Paul presents the press coffee service. This level of expertise and polish is not normally associated with dudes in flannel shirts, but hey, it's Maine, people! That's how it's done!

Pretty exciting to get this kind coffee with this kind of dessert... wowee.
Trust your taste. Don't trust your perception.

Advertisement
SurJones

#13: Post by SurJones »

Im in Portland Maine - nothing new has opened up as of 2017 but there are a couple mobile setups I've seen but haven't checked out. :)