Extractions seem a little off. Baratza Sette grind inconsistency? [photo]

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
Sam

#1: Post by Sam »

Hi, all - I just unpackaged and tried to dial in my Sette, upgrading (?) from a Macap M4.

The extractions seemed a little off, so I took a macro photo of the grind. It looks fairly inconsistent - I don't think the large flakes are just chaff. Is this a sign of misalignment? It was set to 2-D, giving me a good extraction time on a 20g shot of fresh Barrington Gold.

If you want to see the full-res in all its clumpy glory, I put it online at i.imgur.com/uesPBCP.jpg. Of note: I took the burr assembly out and it was already caked with super-fine espresso grounds. I had to use a rocket blower to dislodge it, and some was still gunked in.

floydo

#2: Post by floydo »

Cannot comment on your photo, but maybe you could elaborate on the term "off"
The espresso grind from a conical Sette to a Macap 4 58mm flat will taste and appear very different.
I feel it is an improvement.
The grind is way fluffier than the Macap...For several beans (medium to dark roast) I have tried it is about 20-30% greater in volume...Shake or tap the portafilter lightly and it will settle dramatically. Much more than the Macap on beans I have tested.
Perhaps some time and experimentation?

Advertisement
samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

The grind looks okay. Grind from flat burrs will feel more powdery, whereas grind from conical will be a bit more 'gritty', even if it's a titan conical. Totally normal. I would only be concerned if you see extremely large chunks (the brown line).

Grinder studies by Socratic Coffee

Sam (original poster)

#4: Post by Sam (original poster) »

Thanks! I ran some stale beans through the Sette and it seems to have settled down quite a bit. The taste is very different - which was surprising. It's deeper and a little thicker, and the extractions look much better today (yesterday they were strongly ringed on the naked PF, but came out much more even today.

Plus, my daughter can't sleep in and be late for school any more with a jet engine in the kitchen. A nice bonus :)