Ceado E6P v2 - How you guys liking it?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zanna5910

#1: Post by zanna5910 »

I've searched around the internet on some reviews of this grinder, but dont really see much in-the-field usage reports just a bunch of the same old buying advice. Who has this grinder and how are you liking it? Pros and Cons? How easy is it to adjust and hows the grind been? Speed? Looking at the new v2 with the smaller form factor and its manual top setting.

I'm looking to buy a grinder in this price range to dedicate to espresso, tired of Vario playing games with me. Its going to get relegated to french press. Any other advice welcome.

EspressoSmooth

#2: Post by EspressoSmooth »

Like you, I was tired of my Vario slipping at espresso settings with light roasts, and was enticed by the specs/price of the E6P v2. I've been living with it for a week and I really like it. I'm still in the evaluation phase but I'll give you my initial impressions:

Pros- Quiet, Solid buld quality, easy to use and adjust. Small footprint, and very reasonably priced
Cons- A bit slow, very basic.

My favorite thing so far has been the sound of this grinder. Not only is it much quieter than the Vario but it has a much more pleasant tone to it. It feels incredibly solid, and looks a lot better in person than it does in pictures. It has a very pleasant minimalist aesthetic. The adjustment collar is smooth, and once you're in your ideal espresso range it only takes small adjustments to dial in. I just dialed in a new bean in 3 shots. It's bigger than the Vario but it's not huge, fits under my cabinets just fine.

Another thing I love about this grinder is that almost all the grounds go into the basket, and what doesn't make it usually ends up in the catch tray. My counter gets way less messy than with the Vario.

In the cup, the mouthfeel seems to be much improved over the Vario. With the naked portafilter, the pours seem to be more even without WDT.For flavor, highs are higher and lows are lower. The Vario had less clarity, although I wouldn't necessarily say it was worse, just a different and more blended flavor. I suspect this grinder would shine more with SO espressos compared to the Vario.

This grinder is a bit slow however. I can't quite understand how a grinder with bigger burrs and a much stronger motor isn't any faster than the Vario, but it's just the way it is. An 18 gram dose takes a bit over 10 seconds. Not a huge problem though since I only make 2-3 shots a day. The grind is a bit clumpy, but this may get worked out in time as I've only put about 2.5 lbs of beans through it so far. It's very basic too, which is nice because it's easy to use and inexpensive, but a digital readout of the grinding time would be nice and I imagine not that expensive to add.

For the price I don't really have any major complaints. Faster Grinding and a digital display for the grind time would make this grinder tough to beat in its class, but as it stands it's a very good grinder.

zanna5910 (original poster)

#3: Post by zanna5910 (original poster) »

EspressoSmooth wrote:Like you,
Thank you so much for your well written and thorough review. It was so very helpful. I live in Houston, so very humid here too, I would suspect I would be getting similar type clumping. My vario seems to not think there is a difference between 2 and 3, 80% of the time. :?

What other grinders did you look at and why settle on this one?

Any other E6P's in the wild that people care to share their opinion of?

EspressoSmooth

#4: Post by EspressoSmooth »

zanna5910 wrote:Thank you so much for your well written and thorough review.

What other grinders did you look at and why settle on this one?
You're welcome.

My vario had become borderline useless for espresso over the past few weeks. I had planned on saving up for an E37S, but due to budget constraints (AKA my wife) I started looking at slightly cheaper grinders such as the compak E5 or the Nuova Simonelli G60. Then I noticed the E6P and saw that it had 64mm burrs in a compact, affordable package. I liked that it came with a 3 year warranty and had read many good things about Ceado in general, particularly about how quiet they are. Generally you get what you pay for, and in this case if you can give up some things like digital display and chrome/stainless steel plating, you get a really great grinder. The Sette seems like a great value too, but given my frustrations with the Vario, I decided to go for something more heavily built.

#5: Post by zanna5910 (original poster) replying to EspressoSmooth »

Are we the same person?! :D

Thanks again! Think I will probably trust my instincts here. Dont make too many a day either and the only real drawback I'm hearing is speed, which I'm already used to and not really a concern. Your getting clumping but from the sounds of it it's getting less and also not effecting just tamping vs needing to smooth it out right?

#6: Post by zanna5910 (original poster) »

One more question. I seem to not be able to pull any sweetness out of my Vario. I experiment but have a tough time of it. Could be the human standing in front of it, but I just can't seem to pull great shots that are balanced. Gonna get a bottomless soon to help diagnose me as the problem.

I digress. Are you able to pull sweetness out inherently with the Ceado?

redbone

#7: Post by redbone »

I have a Ceado e37 64mm burrs prior to the e37s with the 83mm burrs. It's rock solid. Quite and grinds uniformly. The huge advantage of the Ceado is the steady lock system. http://www.ceado.com/en/steady_lock_grinder.html.
No issue with floating grind settings.

Ceado E6P
Net weight 8,7 kg
Gross weight 10,7 kg

Baratza Vario
Weight 9 lbs. (4.1 kg)

Baratza Forte
Weight 13 lbs. (6 kg)
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

EspressoSmooth

#8: Post by EspressoSmooth »

I don't think the flavor is tremendously improved over the Vario. There's an improvement in clarity and body, but the Vario is capable of making good shots too IMO. I will say that when you get this one dialed in, it stays dialed in , so the shots are much more consistent. A naked portafilter helps a lot in diagnosing what went wrong with shots.

EspressoSmooth

#9: Post by EspressoSmooth »

Another week in and I'm happy to report that the grinder seems to be getting faster and less clumpy. Now down to 9 seconds for 18 grams from and the clumping is significantly less. Still there, but they're smaller and not affecting the pour much.

Retention also is pretty low, maybe 1.5-2 grams.

allemania

#10: Post by allemania »

Hello EspressoSmooth.

Thanks for answering one of my other post re the Ceado E6P. Also, that was a great review you gave in this thread. I'm sure I read it before I made my purchase but owning one now I see how spot on your description is.

I noticed you mentioned 1.5 to 2.0 grams retention. Are you single dosing? I initially tried single dosing but found as the burrs got to the last 3 to 4 grams, the volume coming from the spout started to decrease significantly, as if the lack of weight on top of the beans was hindering completion of the grinding process. As a result I had to fill some additional coffee beans to get an 18 g dose.

Also, it seems that when single dosing if you operate the grinder long enough to try to empty all the grounds, there are voids that normally would become and stay filled with grounds that instead are eventually cleared out, with the drawback being the next time you try to single dose these voids have to be refilled, thus using more coffee. Not sure I explained that as well as I intended :(

Anyway, just wondering what process you use with the Ceado.