Rancilio Classe 6 Leva 3 project - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Almico (original poster)

#31: Post by Almico (original poster) »

I'm fighting the desire to take this beast outside and power-wash the whole thing to be irresistible. I could mask off the power box and, since I'm not planning on firing it up for a couple of weeks till it's descaled, it should have time to dry out. Any reason I should not do this?

Headala

#32: Post by Headala »

Seems to me that there are a lot of solenoids, switches, etc. that water would be forced into. I would do that after a full disassesembly. Are you going to repaint the frame? There's rust in the bottom, correct?

Almico (original poster)

#33: Post by Almico (original poster) replying to Headala »

There are surprisingly few solenoid and switches. I think there is only one solenoid at the water inlet and the main power switches up front. They are both easily removed. The power switches are very gunked up. They need to be disassembled and cleaned.

Probably not painting the frame. It's just dirty, and this if far more a utilitarian machine than a work or art. The floor pan has rust around the drain cup. I will probably just scrape away the loose stuff and then bolt or rivet on a SS panel and cut a new hole for the drain.

Having used a La Pavoni Pro for a while, the lack of components required to make good espresso shouldn't surprise me. But after working on an Astoria SAE-Jun last month, I am really struck by how many components are made superfluous by a lever and spring.

Almico (original poster)

#34: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Finally got a complete Classe 6 parts list and diagrams. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9yYa ... 0RKTnFJa0U

and https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9yYa ... 3gxTEtEMEk

And from the first one I already found the switches I need:

http://www.partstown.com/rancilio/ra34030970

scareyourpasenger

#35: Post by scareyourpasenger »

I own a single group version of what you have. Installed a pid a couple years ago and it has been running better than ever. The pressurestats wear out and even thought mine didn't see that much use, it was not functioning very well. I invested too much to cut into mine so it is in a box designed for the pid below the machine.

Balthazar_B

#36: Post by Balthazar_B replying to scareyourpasenger »

Jeremy, can you provide more info about what you did? Perhaps a schematic?
- John

LMWDP # 577

Almico (original poster)

#37: Post by Almico (original poster) »

scareyourpasenger wrote:I own a single group version of what you have. Installed a pid a couple years ago and it has been running better than ever. The pressurestats wear out and even thought mine didn't see that much use, it was not functioning very well. I invested too much to cut into mine so it is in a box designed for the pid below the machine.
I'm interested too. Mine would likely be more complicated since I have 3 heating elements totalling 6700W. A new pressure stat is $107, but I already have a spare 45A SSR and 240V contactor from my roaster. Where did you mount the thermocouple?

Did you keep the pressure stat connected in series as a secondary support?

Almico (original poster)

#38: Post by Almico (original poster) »

The Calcinet arrived. I've been soaking the boiler cover in Dezcal for a few days, refreshing the solution daily. It got some of it off, but it just kind of laid there and didn't come close to reacting like this with the Calcinet.

Headala

#39: Post by Headala »

My personal fav is ketchup + toothbrush. Work it around, let it sit 10-15 mins, brush it around some more, wash it off. Try it on a small spot to see if you like it.

Almico (original poster)

#40: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Well that worked. About 1/4" of scale gone. Now on to the rest of the boiler...