Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2 Brew Lever

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
malekia

#1: Post by malekia »

Hi, I have a Rocket Giotto Evoluzione V2 which I purchased 8/9 months ago.

I've noticed that the brew lever isn't as smooth as it was before; in fact it's quite stiff. Is there something that I need to lubricate?

Thanks,
Ali

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Your group needs some disassembly and lubrication. See this: search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&keyw ... id%5B%5D=3
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Advertisement
bronsht

#3: Post by bronsht »

I've gone from takedown/lube every one week to two weeks to three weeks. I do not make that much coffee: say 2 or 3 cups each morning. I've made a lot of mistakes taking apart and/or putting back together the parts. I can tell you that I have replaced a number of springs and camming parts. Chris Coffee sells the parts. The only problem with their parts is that the white delrin? washer for the bottom exhaust is too small and that is the only one I need to replace (they sell a packet of several but I have not changed the other positions).

I've finally learned a few things about doing the clean/lube. If you are not very mechanical, which I am not, email me and I will walk you through the process and let you know what to look out for. Otherwise just follow the post above.

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

Eric's links will get you to the Randy Glass instructions, which are excellent.

In addition, I think you might find this video very useful:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3IsBrnDeJA

Normally I'm not a fan of YouTube instructions - often are incomplete and irritatingly slow. But for this particular case, I think this 8 minute video from espressotec is complete and right to the point. And it's specifically for the Rocket brew lever.

If you are just lubricating you can leave the two gaskets in place, just clean and lube (lightly) the cam, the lever shaft, and use a q-tip or something to clean and lube the gaskets still in place.

If you find that your brew lever frequently gets stiff and squeaky, you might want to revisit how often you do detergent backflushes, doing regular backflushes at least daily but only using detergent every 2-4 weeks or so. I think the Rocket manual advises detergent once per week, but many E-61 owners advise doing them much more rarely. And I think it helps if when you do a detergent backfush, you do it in the morning, before pulling shots rather than doing it as the last thing before putting the machine to bed for the night.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

h3yn0w

#5: Post by h3yn0w »

bronsht wrote:I've gone from takedown/lube every one week to two weeks to three weeks. I do not make that much coffee: say 2 or 3 cups each morning. I've made a lot of mistakes taking apart and/or putting back together the parts. I can tell you that I have replaced a number of springs and camming parts. Chris Coffee sells the parts. The only problem with their parts is that the white delrin? washer for the bottom exhaust is too small and that is the only one I need to replace (they sell a packet of several but I have not changed the other positions).

I've finally learned a few things about doing the clean/lube. If you are not very mechanical, which I am not, email me and I will walk you through the process and let you know what to look out for. Otherwise just follow the post above.
IMO You should not have to lube nearly that often. Be sure to use detergent sparingly and backflush more frequently with water instead.

bronsht

#6: Post by bronsht »

In response to h3yn0w

I do a plain backflush everyday once I make my last espresso. I'll be glad to do a detergent backflush less often but I find after three weeks the brass parts are fairly dirty. I have changed to using less cleanser.

h3yn0w

#7: Post by h3yn0w replying to bronsht »

Not sure which brass parts you mean but I think we should mostly care about what is in the brew path. Sharing my routine below:

- After every session (be it 1 coffee or more than 1) I take a brush to and around the shower screen, and backflush twice with water.
- Once or twice a week I will take the screen and gasket down and clean with detergent. I also clean inside and around the group. But again no backflush w/ detergent.
- Maybe once every 2-3 months I'll also backflush with detergent.

Advertisement
bronsht

#8: Post by bronsht »

I dislike performing the detergent backflush so I thank you for your advice. I shall change to a 3 or 4 month approach on that. How often do you lubricate the brass parts (cam/brew/exhaust)?

h3yn0w

#9: Post by h3yn0w replying to bronsht »

My machine is 2 years old and I've not had to lube it yet, and I've had no issues with stiffness or noise. I would guess at most it would be a yearly maintenance routine for normal home use.

bronsht

#10: Post by bronsht »

Many thanks. I cannot tell you how many times I've performed the lubrication on my machine. I feel pretty silly.