Absolute beginner - How to fold the square chemex filter?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
drewjonn

#1: Post by drewjonn »

Sorry I know this is a pretty stupid question, and most of you guys who are used to manual brewing can do this for one second or less but I honestly am not sure how am I supposed to fold this thing. I folded it the wrong way and my chemex didn't come up clean because the grounds fell into the water.

I searched through google and youtube but none of them helped me enough for this thing. If anyone would create a 5-10 second video or send me pictures/links showing how this should be done, I would totally appreciate it.

Cheers!

CorvusDoug

#2: Post by CorvusDoug »

Hey Drew,

You'll want to open it up with three layers on one side and one on the other. Just a couple things: make sure the 3 layer thick side rests across the spout to keep the filter from caving in. Also, wet the filter really REALLY well before putting the coffee in. Chemex filters are super thick and can absorb a lot of flavor keeping it out of your cup if you don't pre wet enough. Good luck!
Corvus Coffee Roasters - Denver, CO

drewjonn (original poster)

#3: Post by drewjonn (original poster) »

Hi,

Just figured out how to fold it and felt so stupid right away. Anyways, can you explain more about a perfect wetting process? I usually just create a circle around it and leave it until it is fully drained. Does that mean that I gotta pour more water as for the filter cleaning?

Almico

#4: Post by Almico »

I use a Chemex every morning. My SOP is to spiral the filter from top to bottom with water fresh off the boil. When it's drained, I carefully remove the filter and swish out the filter "paper water" from the brewer with more hot water. Then I place the filter back and add the coffee. By this time the water should has cooled enough to start my pour method of choice. I prefer the slow, Kono style drip pour.

I started using the Kone metal filter inside the Chemex square paper filter about a year ago. It makes removing the pre-wetted filter easier because you have the Kone helping maintain the shape. It also allows me to reuse the Chemex filters since I can dump the majority of the grinds by removing the Kone and then just rinsing the fines from the paper and hanging it to dry. I can reuse the paper filter about 10 times before I toss it.

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

This might be the right time to link to Scott Rao's blog entry on pour overs:
http://scottrao.com/blog/

leon

#6: Post by leon replying to SJM »

Interesting article, thanks for posting that.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Scott Rao has strong opinions on Chemex and natural processed coffees but allows for differences preference, at least on the coffee processing.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272