What is wow'ing you? - Page 67

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mauijer

#661: Post by mauijer »

Been drinking Colectivo's Guatemala Mountain of Flowers and Cost Rica Santa Maria SO Seasonal blends as espresso, very wowing! And they come in 1lb bags :D :D

lifevicarious

#662: Post by lifevicarious »

skittles_s wrote:Heart's Stereo blend still comes in 16 ounce bags. Their roasts (at least Stereo) are considerably more developed of late. *This* is what's wowing me. It's actually easy to grind Stereo on my Pharos now. Two years ago I would have chosen the word "impossible."
I ordered a 5lb bag of this based on your note. Came yesteday. Definitely enjoying it, finding it pretty easy to pull on my setup (K30, Duetto).
- Christian

Advertisement
Chert

#663: Post by Chert »

IMAWriter wrote:Velton Ross does a wonderful job, and REALLY enjoys working with home roasters. Bonsai is very nice. I've roasted Nayarita Natural (from Burman's) many times, but not recently. My recollection was that the greens smelled somewhat like an Ethiopian sidamo...that berry kind, and the roasted ("dropped" about a minute out of first crack) TASTED a bit like an Ethiopian sidamo...the berry thing.

+1

Burman's been my source for Nayarita green, too. I've checked at the importer Cristobal but the natural organic was in the east coast warehouse rather than the green room in Auburn WA, the nearest warehouse for full bags. It would take a while to go through 60 kg...
LMWDP #198

Kevinmj70

#664: Post by Kevinmj70 »

https://store.paradiseroasters.com/coff ... mboya.html Paradise Roasters Kenya Gatomboya Peaberry is delicious! Just two V60's into a 12oz bag but it is One of the best I've ever had

Hudson

#665: Post by Hudson »

http://roselinecoffee.com/collections/c ... s-honduras is really wowing me right now. I first had this coffee from Houndstooth coffee in Austin, TX and liked it enough to buy a bag, even though was already 14 days post roast. Pulling it at home I'm getting the same flavors, most notably the grape jam taste. Really is a sweet and palatable lighter roast.
LMWDP #534

Chert

#666: Post by Chert »

IMAWriter wrote:Velton Ross does a wonderful job, ad REALLY enjoys working with home roasters. Bonsai is very nice. I've roasted Nayarita Natural (from Burman's) many times, but not recently. My recollection was that the greens smelled somewhat like an Ethiopian sidamo...that berry kind, and the roasted ("dropped" about a minute out of first crack) TASTED a bit like an Ethiopian sidamo...the berry thing.
Question for you: Have you roasted or tried the washed from Nayarita, San Cristobal importers, that Burman also carries? I never have and I am curious.
LMWDP #198

TomC
Team HB

#667: Post by TomC »

Does grateful bragging count?

About once a year, I somehow stumble onto a trifecta of awesome or interesting coffees at the same moment. This last week it really poured graciously upon me :) I have been given some green coffee samples from my friend Mokhtar Alkhanshali, his latest and best Yemeni coffees that I roasted up a few days ago and are hopefully rested enough to try tomorrow. One of them is the coffee that famously sold for $16 per cup at Blue Bottle Coffee ( paired with a traditional Yemeni cookie of sorts).

I also took my first stab at buying coffee from Europe, putting in an order with Gardelli Coffee in Italy for his 93 point Ethiopian Nensebo and his 92.5 point La Aurora Geisha from Panama. Rubens Gardelli and I have worked together a bit on green coffee selections for his roasting competitions and the plans that go along with them, so he very kindly surprised me with a small sample both green and roasted of his 2016 World Brewer's Cup Championship competition coffee, a natural Panamanian Geisha from Finca Deborah. I've only tried the Geishas so far and both are stunning in different ways. I'm very excited to try the Ethiopian, which he deemed not only the best Ethiopian he's ever had his hands on, but one of the best coffees he's found all year.

Three for three came from Counter Culture Coffee and some examples of their optically sorted coffee which shows a lot of promise for delivering higher quality coffee to the consumer, more consistently. There's a few selections from Counter Culture that will be available soon, if not already that employ this technology. And the Gardelli Coffee's landed 4 days after shipping from Italy thanks to DHL, so for the occasional splurge, likely worth checking out.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
coffeemmichael

#668: Post by coffeemmichael »

TomC wrote:About once a year, I somehow stumble onto a trifecta of awesome or interesting coffees at the same moment. .
You are the luckiest man in coffee at the moment, any of those coffees sound stunning enough to make someone's entire year

joalepins

#669: Post by joalepins »

Guys, you need to put your hands on a bag of Pilot's Catalan De Las Mercedes Natural. It is amazing !!!

Yesterday, I gave it a try on my E61 and it was really good as a straight shot and also with milk.

Straight is was a fruit bomb with a good acidity.

With milk, a round chocolate taste but still that fruity in the back.

Today, it was V60 time and wow, amazed by the sweetness of this coffee, super syrupy and a bright acidity.

A most try at the moment !

gzim

#670: Post by gzim »

My brother brought this fresh from Minneapolis. Great stuff! made my after lunch pick me up killer!
Bright, but not acidic, loads of sweet orange and some floral... not lemon peel.

Loved it. I notice every bean has a nice light stripe... what is this from, the bean or the way it is roasted? They look very cool. THe light color inside is much more vibrant in person than in the photo.