Big Island Hawaii - coffee must visits? - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
Boldjava

#11: Post by Boldjava »

Compass Coffee wrote:Pete Licata might disagree with your sweeping generalization of Kona coffees as might the 2011 USBC and WBC judges where Pete won the USBC and placed 2nd WBC using 100% Kona. ..
You missed reading the entire post. I mentioned that and referenced an article about it which refers to the Kona and Ka'u he used:
Down in the Ka'u region, Miguel Meza is working with Lorie Obra and has a good Bourbon (marketed as Rusty's Hawaiian). I am not aware of shops on the Big Island who serve it. Pete Licata won national title with them -- he selected and hand picked his own beans. (http://rustyshawaiian.com/shop/espresso ... -espresso/)..
-----
LMWDP #339

Jofari

#12: Post by Jofari »

I'm on the Big Island this week, so this thread has been very useful. I had a couple of pretty good pourovers at Daylight Mind in Kona (one from Ka'u and the other was Maui Mokka). Daylight Mind also has opened a second location in Waikaloa, which I visited, but was a little less impressed with. I also went to Hula Daddy Coffee and had a great time. Their drip coffee sample was the best coffee I've had here so far and the farm tour was really interesting and fun.
Boldjava wrote:Best cup I had on the island? Waimea Coffee Company up on the NE corner of the island, near the Parker Ranch.
I'm glad I read this. I'll have to check out this place if I make it back to Waimea. I was just there yesterday. On a note unrelated to coffee, if anyone is in the area and likes donuts, I'd recommend Manuela Malasadas. They are doughnuts that are fried and filled to order - one of the best things I've eaten in recent memory.

Advertisement
caldwa

#13: Post by caldwa »

Jofari wrote:On a note unrelated to coffee, if anyone is in the area and likes donuts, I'd recommend Manuela Malasadas. They are doughnuts that are fried and filled to order - one of the best things I've eaten in recent memory.
If you like malasadas, our favorite on the big island is Tex Drive In. They are pretty awesome.

Jofari

#14: Post by Jofari »

Stopped by the Waimea Coffee Company today and had a pourover of the Hamakua White Mountain. It was roasted a bit darker than my preference, but it was remarkably sweet. It's a fun little cafe that I'd definitely recommend (and the town of Waimea is beautiful).
caldwa wrote:If you like malasadas, our favorite on the big island is Tex Drive In. They are pretty awesome.
Thanks for the tip! I stopped by on the drive back from Hilo this morning. Great malasadas! It's hard to go wrong with fresh fried dough and sweet fillings :D

Simon345

#15: Post by Simon345 »

We stopped by Hula Daddy and found the owners to be amazingly hospitable people that took pride in showing us around the plantation and the rest of the impressive facility. After the tour Karen spent time preparing coffee for us from a variety of different beans and preparations. Definitely a highlight for me of visiting the Big Island. The coffee was wonderful too. Really wonderful. Wish I had some now... :D

Gig103

#16: Post by Gig103 »

Jofari wrote:Stopped by the Waimea Coffee Company today and had a pourover of the Hamakua White Mountain. It was roasted a bit darker than my preference, but it was remarkably sweet. It's a fun little cafe that I'd definitely recommend (and the town of Waimea is beautiful).

Thanks for the tip! I stopped by on the drive back from Hilo this morning. Great malasadas! It's hard to go wrong with fresh fried dough and sweet fillings :D
I'm just back from Kona including the Waimea coffee company. My pourover was not good at all. I was tempted to ask them to start over when my $5 cup was pouring so slow that it was closer to 10 minutes than 3 for the total brew time, and was being topped off by the cashier in between customers. I should have tried the espresso.

Lunch was good, though and the little shopping center was quaint.

caldwa

#17: Post by caldwa »

Jofari wrote: Thanks for the tip! I stopped by on the drive back from Hilo this morning. Great malasadas! It's hard to go wrong with fresh fried dough and sweet fillings :D
Awesome! What I wouldn't give for a fresh Tex malasada right now... :D

Advertisement
Jofari

#18: Post by Jofari »

Gig103 wrote:My pourover was not good at all. I was tempted to ask them to start over when my $5 cup was pouring so slow that it was closer to 10 minutes than 3 for the total brew time, and was being topped off by the cashier in between customers. I should have tried the espresso
That's too bad. I will say that my pourover took quite a long time as well (probably around 10 minutes), but it ended up tasting pretty good. I didn't get to try the espresso either, but I will if I ever make another trip there.