Office machine for the masses

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
IntrepidQ3

#1: Post by IntrepidQ3 »

I have been put in charge of finding our next coffee machine. Currently we are running a super auto by jura that is at the end of its life.

I was told to try to step up the office coffee game, but the reality of it is no one else in the place will be able to take the time to make coffee that takes longer then pushing a button. Not to mention the challenge of the maintenance and cleaning. In other words, I need to choose a machine that I would not meet my standards.

What is the best of the worst options here?

I do know nespresso is not an option, machine needs to brew a regular cup of coffee not just espresso drinks.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

salcangeloso

#2: Post by salcangeloso »

That's a tough one! My last office worked with a rental company on all the kitchen equipment so cleaning/maintenance was not something we had to worry about in house. This limited our selection but meant less issues day to day. We were also able to swap out machines if people didn't like what we were using. Wasn't my duty to decide, but I made sure to make my decision known. We ended up with a huge machine, which was like an offbrand Jura. Wasn't great, but could do a latte, cap, espresso, or normal coffee, plus mocha, etc. fairly reliably. I'll try to track down the name, not that I'd recommend it too highly.
HG One / '85 Cremina / Thor 49mm tamper

Advertisement
IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#3: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

Thanks for looking into it. Ideally I would love to see a sette 270, chemex, chemex auto pour type machine in the breakroom, but no one would take care of it... And probably wouldn't know what to do with it...

Any super auto suggests that make half decent cups.of coffee? Or is it as simple as, pick the best looking box that produces sub par coffee for convenience?
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

Honestly you might have better luck finding a different forum that focuses on super-autos for any good feedback.
Mike McGinness

IntrepidQ3 (original poster)

#5: Post by IntrepidQ3 (original poster) »

Yea possibly... Figured there has to be someone here that works in an office somewhere with a similar situation that found a decent solution.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#6: Post by EspressoForge replying to IntrepidQ3 »

Unfortunately all office solutions I've seen suggested have big compromises. To be expected. But since you're not getting much for responses, just know it is a lot to do with the tagline of the site: "Your guide to exceptional coffee". It's also just because the best compromise most people have found is Nespresso. Since you've already ruled that out, there's really not much else that is "office-proof".

Going with a coffee service makes a lot of sense, and since no budget was given, I'd say hire a full-time in-house barista and get a good machine. :)

Really though, I think you should take another look at a Nespresso setup.