Mill City FOTR 2016 discussion - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
SAB

#21: Post by SAB »

I just submitted my guesses. Being out of town over the weekend could hurt my chances...of course, so could being wrong... :? :shock: :D

I will say, all the greens are VERY nice. Even origins I don't traditionally like were very tasty. Of course, I could say "That's the best Kenyan I've ever tasted" and the response might be "yeah, well it's from Mexico!"

I have very strong reasons for my submissions...I will be curious as to the accuracy of those reasons. Hampered a bit by never roasting 4 of the origins. But fun to pursue, nonetheless!

day

#22: Post by day »

Anybody else find 1 and 2 were really hard to control leading into 1c? 3-5 were pretty easy to roast for me. But it kept wanting to spike before 1c on 1 and 2 regardless of cutting gas more than has generally been enough. (I only have like 40 roast on it now, and 30 were one bean, so I am still a total amateur with the huky)
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Advertisement
woodchuck

#23: Post by woodchuck »

Anybody else find 1 and 2 were really hard to control leading into 1c? 3-5 were pretty easy to roast for me. But it kept wanting to spike before 1c on 1 and 2 regardless of cutting gas more than has generally been enough.
No problem with one as I started at a lower charge temp. Five definitely wanted to race to the finish. I would charge it lower next time.
Cheers
Ian

jalpert

#24: Post by jalpert »

I also had lowest moisture loss on #5. And a strong flash during the crack.

I'm dead sure of one of them. Pretty sure of another. Have a good guess at two more. And only "throw a dart at that part of the world" for the last.

My favorites were #1 and #2. They are both some of the better coffees I've had in a while. #5 also great. Strongly dislike #4, which is why I think I know what it is.

Chert (original poster)

#25: Post by Chert (original poster) »

Chert wrote:Right, through the discussion one could garner a clue that would allow a correct round 1 entry, or conversely give one away. Or engage in "psychological warfare" as my son use to say during board games.

In that light, I will bring up guessing strategy: Is it better (A) to roast/cup early and enter a best guess quickly for fear that correct entries are likely and to advance the early-bird option is key. OR (B)is it best to roast - cup - extract and roast-cup-extract a second set in order to try to be more certain, if possible.

With choice of Burundi, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Ethiopia, Guatemala, Kenya, and Mexico I think similarities are significant among the origins so I would opt for choice B. If the choices were say Brazil, Colombia, Costa Rica, Kenya, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Sumatra, Tanzania, and Vietnam then option A would certainly be the way to go.
Quoting myself here - I wonder if I will be notified by the board - with retrospectoscope in hand, I think option B would be the way to go.

One or two days trying these coffees and going with my first strong hunch, not re-considering after that first impression, did not serve for getting beyond round 1, rather I tanked. Now that I know the origins it will be interesting to roast the 2 batches I have left of the 4 lots I got wrong and explore my wrong impressions a bit more. The other problem with option A is that one doesn't let the coffees rest enough.

It would be interesting to know among the top 5 - or was it 4 (?) -Ace origin identifiers, were they all experienced beyond we hobbyist roasters and did they cup with other experienced palates to bounce impressions off? If they have this format again - coming from a coffee afficionados desert - maybe the on-line-group cupping could be more productive as well, without giving anything away.
LMWDP #198

Boldjava

#26: Post by Boldjava »

Chert wrote:... If they have this format again - coming from a coffee afficionados desert - maybe the on-line-group cupping could be more productive as well, without giving anything away.
You lost me here Flint. What'cho say?
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert (original poster)

#27: Post by Chert (original poster) replying to Boldjava »

That ramble was just me considering how to do better next time. One way would be to use on-line communities perhaps the way others used actual, in person, shared knowledge to confirm or refute a guess. Maybe the observations offered and shared by hobbyists - some like me who rarely interact directly with other coffee hobbyists - could be legitimately used to make a winning entry.

Does that make sense?
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
Boldjava

#28: Post by Boldjava »

Chert wrote:...Does that make sense?
Perfect, though nothing replaces 5 people sitting around a table. Run an ad in Walla Walla Craigslist. "Need 4 folks who want to get serious about coffee. Experience not necessary but willingness to learn is imperative."

You will get them.
-----
LMWDP #339

johnny4lsu

#29: Post by johnny4lsu replying to Boldjava »

that's a really good idea Dave

jalpert

#30: Post by jalpert »

That's what I did in Oakland, except I only sent the email to my wife and her dad. It worked!

Also I learned a ton from this competition:

- The #4 Guatemala tastes just like a Burundi we roasted for a Huky competition. And now I have two examples to prove that I detest the spicy, clove-heavy, somewhat bittered flavors of both of those coffees. In the aforementioned Huky competition, I actually tried to roast those flavors out of the coffee, and scored low on the "flavor" portion of the grading!

- #5 must be doing the most dead-on Earl Gray impression I've ever seen. I had a cup of Earl Gray yesterday just for comparison sake, and wow. What a prototypical tea-like Ethiopia.

- I had no idea Costa Rica was capable of producing coffees with such a WOW factor as #1.

- It turns out I really like El Salvador Pacamara. Everyone at my cupping table was giving #2 huge oohs and aahs. We'd never seen or tasted that coffee before.

Thanks Dave, this format was super fun (and also hopefully a sustainable amount of work for you, as opposed to last year)!