Ceado E5P looks interesting. - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sprin001

#11: Post by sprin001 »

Portlandia wrote:I do wish it had another activation button, but other than that, the E5P has a lot going for it. I'm assuming you can just hold the PF above the holder, and push the button?
Yes you can, this is actually how I prefer to do it. I hope the actuator becomes easier to depress over time, it requires some force!

mania

#12: Post by mania »

sprin001 wrote:Mania,
As a psychiatrist, I appreciate the name. I think the E5 is mostly considered an espresso only grinder due to the ability to dial in for an espresso grind-size. It would be difficult to do wide range and then return to the espresso size. From what I've read, most people who need a "do-it-all" grinder would probably benefit more from something like the baratza vario with easy changes on a large scale. I'm almost a week in with the ceado and it's been a learning curve. I am on a gaggia classic and the shots keep pulling sour for some reason, I need to ensure temp/pressure are good but the shots look incredible. I'll update more as I go and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone may have about the ceado e5p.
-JS

Thanks Jerrod

Sure I agree more than 1 grinder if doing anything other than espresso or if in a shop even more than one bean regularly etc.

Looking forward to what you find with this grinder.
It has a lot of good spec for the price

I am guessing tighter grind or higher dose if your getting sour shots
Good luck & thanks for updates :wink:

sprin001

#13: Post by sprin001 »

I've been going finer on the grind. Due to basket/shower screen clearance issues it is difficult to up the dose. I am preferring a 15-16g dose at ~25 gram extraction weight. It has been much sweeter and more chocolate notes; which I prefer.

sprin001

#14: Post by sprin001 »

Update on ceado e5p
Ive switched coffee beans. What I have available locally are topeca, coda, and some smaller roasters like doubleshot and nordaggios. Im using nordaggios at 17g, extracting about 27g in 25-30 seconds and the shots are chocolatey, not alot of other full-bodied flavors but again im pulling them on a gaggia classic. In the first week, the ceado has began to clump less. Overall, I'm still very happy with my purchase but I wish the hopper were shorter on the ceado.

one1speed

#15: Post by one1speed replying to sprin001 »

Thx for the update. I'm running the short Mazzer hopper (Mazzer Mini hopper), on my E7, should fit the E5P. I don't know if it's shorter than what you have, but may be worth looking into.

Portlandia (original poster)

#16: Post by Portlandia (original poster) »

I would prefer no hopper for single dosing. Does a 53 tamper or basket sit on top of the E5 to prevent beans from hopping?

one1speed

#17: Post by one1speed replying to Portlandia »

A 58mm tamper sits inside the top rubber collar on my E7, would imagine it would fit in the E5 as well. I tried a smaller tamper at one time and it went it too far, sitting on the top acorn nut. Don't recall the exact size of the smaller tamper.

sprin001

#18: Post by sprin001 replying to one1speed »

Aw man, that's a great suggestion. I pulled the hopper off and the tamp sits perfectly above the moving parts of the machine without causing any problems. The e5p is really a great grinder for me, i'm loving the improved consistency and quality of my shots - but it's becoming more evident that its time for a machine upgrade. I'm really interested in the duetto, pro 700, lucca m58 area. BTW, I went through some of my formative education at Sunbury, out north of Columbus and absolutely loved that place/people.

one1speed

#19: Post by one1speed replying to sprin001 »

Should be a nice grinder. I'm curious if there's really any difference in the cup from what I have. Enjoy, I know I'm happy with the E7 for now.

I've been in Columbus for about 18 years, and it certainly has changed quite a bit from when I moved here. I wouldn't call it cutting edge, but is moving forward at a pretty rapid pace.

Good luck with machine choice. I am waiting on a Strietman CT1 lever, which I'm very much looking forward to. I've often lusted after the Linea Mini (too much $$ for me), but I suspect the Strietman will satisfy me for some time, as I generally drink straight shots. All of your options look great as well.

Do look at the Londinium L1, read the reviews. It's a spring lever, very easy to use and be consistent with. And it sounds like it rivals pump machines that are much more expensive. Many of the better pump machines cost crazy money and try to duplicate what you can get from a good lever machine with it's declining pressure and temp profile. So why not just go for a lever? This was at the top of my list with the CT1, but being that I only pull 2-3 shots most days, I decided it was a lot of machine for my use.

Best of luck!

sprin001

#20: Post by sprin001 »

Thanks for the suggestions. The L1 is a gorgeous machine.