Roasting SM Colombian Timana Principales Lotes - Page 3

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
nate74 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by nate74 (original poster) »

Evening all,

I updated my post above with a few tasting comments.
Roasting SM Colombian Timana Principales Lotes

Nate
LMWDP #557

Chert

#22: Post by Chert »

Thanks for sharing, Nate.

Bean: Colombia Timana Principales Lotes
Roaster: modified Huky 500
Charge Mass: 400g
Charge Temp: 200 C / 329 F
Dry/Ramp/Development:4:21/2:42/1:24
FC-start temp: 201C / 394F
Finish Temp: 209C / 408F (FC-start + 8C / 15F)
Overall Roast Time: 8:27
Weight loss: 13.%

I probably called dry end a bit late, and my effort to shorten the drying phase led to a faster ramp than I intended. I'll taste in few days. but the roasted beans aroma suggests I won't find the grassy underdeveloped notes I remember from coffees dropped early after first crack with less up front heat.

[9:00 am 9/15/2016 cupping] I could not wait as I had opportunity to cup this one. I shared with my office colleague who co-owns our roaster. "Kenya!" was the first thing he said. (At least we both get that impression from light roasted coffees of Huila, Colombia). bright, but not grassy, wine-like acidity, sour cherry, bright fruited flavor, sweet finish
Sept 26. Pulled the last couple shots, hot on the pavoni EP-8 for a thin espresso, bright with a chalky finish. That tannic end note had no roasty or bitterness and was the only off aspect. My thoughts of flavors I was enjoying were banana, peach and sweet. (Thanks to the HBer who did the bean swap with me on these 2 lbs.)]
LMWDP #198

badperson

#23: Post by badperson »

Just did 4 batches of this on my new M3...I think this last one will likely be the best, will probably cup and pull shots on sunday some time. I want to say that this looks like a pretty healthy curve, right? Pretty slow rate of temp increase at 1C, steady MET. I think I was at 7.5 amps and a 1/4 turn airflow throughout.

badperson

#24: Post by badperson »

really nice SO espresso shot, some bakers chocolate, creamy body, and over on the spice side of the wheel, to me there is some white pepper and maybe corriander. Can't quite put my finger on it, very complex flavor, really nice.

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by Bak Ta Lo replying to badperson »

That spice flavor was amazing. I had a really hard time describing the flavors in this bean as it seemed to produce so many great ones depending on roast profile, espresso shots, or brewed coffee. It has changed my attitude about Colombian beans. Now I'm hunting another of this caliber.
LMWDP #371

Chert

#26: Post by Chert »

I also found it very tasty, definitely a coffee I would like to enjoy roasting and tasting again. And I updated my final shots' impressions above.
LMWDP #198

badperson

#27: Post by badperson »

did anyone do a light, cupping roast of this coffee? Any chance you could show an artisan graph?

9Sbeans

#28: Post by 9Sbeans »

Here is one of my recent artisan graphs of this Colombian. It's roasted to my personally preferred single origin espresso level, not to a cupping roast level though.

I would aim for 4:10/3:40/1:50 profiles for the cupping roast. To get my imaginary cupping roast on my own roaster, I would increase the gas even more upon the End of Dry (it's from 40% to 44% on my graph) to shorten the second phase (MAI phase). I would keep similar RoR in the third phase (Development phase) and simply drop the bean 20 seconds earlier, while the first crack is still rolling.

[creative nickname]

#29: Post by [creative nickname] »

badperson wrote:did anyone do a light, cupping roast of this coffee? Any chance you could show an artisan graph?
Check my post on the second page for a city roast profile. I wouldn't want to go much lighter than that.
LMWDP #435