Acidic shot on Elektra T1 - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
malling (original poster)

#11: Post by malling (original poster) »

DOH

Found out that the problem was on my side of the portafilter :roll:

I checked everything but as I found nothing, I decided to make a flush experiment, and I realised that I didn't thought a second about the temperature of the brewhead, In other words I didn't flush enough water out after the water dance, unfortunately this resulted in a way too cold brewhead. So After I made a normal flush plus two seconds more then I would usually do, the espresso was spot on! More sweetness et All.

How stupid Can you Be.

But anyway, thanks for your time and help :D

da gino

#12: Post by da gino »

Mikkel, I wonder if you are switching the words and/or sensations of "sour" (like lemons) and "bitter" (like burnt). This is easy to do and might make more sense given your explanation. A flush that is too short on an HX like the T1 results in a hotter shot and therefore one that is more likely to be bitter. A longer flush cools the grouphead and the water and is therefore more likely to be sour.

I wouldn't expect sour shots to be fixed by a longer flush, but bitter shots sometimes can be.

In any event I am glad you found a solution that led back to good tasting shots!

malling (original poster)

#13: Post by malling (original poster) »

How odd it might sound a 8sec flush results in a warmer and a more bitter shot, Then a 6sec flush after the water Dance. That Can only Be explained by a warmer grouphead.

I Think the water Dance plus following flush + sec. Both remove excessive hot water from the Hx and warm up the group.

As far As I have experienced, Then most group that aren't bolted directly to the boiler or are saturated Will have the need to Be warmed by a flush. So you won't have a cold nose.

If the group is to cold, Then it should make the shot colder and therefore more acid( or what you might Call it)