La Marzocco GS3: factory vs user determined boiler offset values

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Italyhound »

I just bought my GS3. I was told the offset value for the boilers is determined by factory testing each machine at LM with 'more accurate' equipment than typical scace setups. I am not here to debate that - one because that is a murky, general statement and two I am not qualified to do so. Maybe it's a big game of transatlantic telephone - maybe it's true.

However ..... :mrgreen: ..... I figured there must have been smart and able folks in here who have gone ahead and scace tested their machines anyway.

If you have, how did your test results compare to the factory determined offset?

Curious. Thanks.

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mitch236 »

I checked my machine and the factory offset was -3 (f) and my testing showed closer to -1.8. I left it at -3 for the easier calculations. Unless LM has updated their PID interface, the offset is not applied to the set temp, only the displayed temp. So now, if I want to run at 200, I set my temp to 203. I just keep in the back of my mind that my actual temp is closer to 201. To me, none of this really matters anyway. It's far more important to have consistent, repeatable temperature profiles than knowing exactly what temp the machine is running.

Marshall

#3: Post by Marshall »

mitch236 wrote:To me, none of this really matters anyway. It's far more important to have consistent, repeatable temperature profiles than knowing exactly what temp the machine is running.
+1 They're just reference points for me. I go up and down according to taste.
Marshall
Los Angeles

rbh1515

#4: Post by rbh1515 »

I tested mine with my Scace device, and the GS3 displayed temp was exactly what the Scace displayed.
Rob

Anvan

#5: Post by Anvan »

When mine was tested, the factory offset had hit it "right on the screws." While I think just about all of us would adjust to taste anyway, having a common standard for the actual temperature is a good thing.

Euology101

#6: Post by Euology101 »

+1 Mitch & Marshall.

When tested mine with Scace it set at something like -2.4 and did something similar to Mitch and set it at -2 I believe, to make it easy on the calculations. Like Mitch said, don't obsess over the temp, obsess over the taste, and figure out why it tastes like it does, and what the temp +- does to change it.

Italyhound (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Italyhound (original poster) »

I understand the replies ... and I get it .... but then comparisons are not very precise if everyone has their own personal temperatures.

For example, when a vendor suggests pulling shots of one of their coffees at 92C, or a fellow user posts their GS3 experience with a shot best at 94 - it would be nice if you knew on your machine that 94c is 94c - especially if they are going to make me do the math myself. :D

With home roasting, peoples temps are different because of different probes and their locations. This is why posting invididual roast temps is not helpful. With a topshelf machine like the GS3, and I am not really obsessive, is it really that wrong to expect X* to be X*? Look, LM offset results sound like they are dead on to pretty darn close from the thread replies - which is why I had posted originally.
While I think just about all of us would adjust to taste anyway, having a common standard for the actual temperature is a good thing.
Exactly.

erics
Supporter ★

#8: Post by erics »

. . . but then comparisons are not very precise if everyone has their own personal temperatures.
Not to mention their own way of measuring those temperatures AND/OR their own way of calibrating the temperature measuring system. And the same could be said for various roasters and espresso machine manufacturers.

The influence of temperature (as a standalone variable) on the final product can be debated ad infinitum and certainly as you approach the ideal temperature for a particular situation, the product improves.

As an automotive example, when carmaker X says that his latest model has 300 horsepower, that horsepower is measured in accordance with published specifications available to anyone.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com