La Spaziale New EK won't heat... Faulty thermostat?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
SJ158

#1: Post by SJ158 »

Hi chaps,

Wondering if I could pick your considerable brains...

Refurbing one of these for a friend; the gunk that's come out of it is incredible.. I'll post some pics when I get a chance.

It's all back together now, everything as it should be, but the problem still remains; it won't heat up.

Things I know :
The pump is happily filling the boiler, and cutting off when it should.
The element is testing at 17.3ohms, which makes it 3kw, which sounds about right.
All wiring appears present and correct, one piece (water level indicator) replaced due to corrosion.
There's an orange light on behind the water level indicator. I'm really not sure what that means, or if it's got any bearing.

I'm guessing it's the thermostat that's given up, can anyone back me up before I potentially waste 40 quid? ;-)

Steve

keepitsimple

#2: Post by keepitsimple »

Bit of a long shot...but most commercial machines have an option to disable the electric heating, either so that you can fill the boiler and not burn out the heater element while the water level is still too low, or because there's a gas heating option.

Any chance this might have anything to do with it ?

SJ158 (original poster)

#3: Post by SJ158 (original poster) »

Hi Rob,

I like it.. wasn't aware of that. Guess it makes perfect sense though... I'll get on the phone tomorrow and see if Spaz UK can shed any light.

Many Thanks!

DaveGrayson

#4: Post by DaveGrayson »

If you place multimeter probes on the heater terminals with the unit on you should be able to measure voltage. If no voltage then there will be no heat. You have already confirmed that the element looks ok. Then following the wires backwards from the heating element should lead you to the point where the voltage problem exists.

SJ158 (original poster)

#5: Post by SJ158 (original poster) »

It's posts like this that make me realise just how illogical I actually am sometimes... You're right, should have done that from the start. I'll chase the voltage down tomorrow, see where it goes.

Much appreciated mate.

SJ158 (original poster)

#6: Post by SJ158 (original poster) »

Interesting.

Voltage test across the element is giving .03vac.. If this was an 'Inspector Morse' episode, the thermostat/thermocouple would be in cuffs by now. I'd be very surprised if it was the control unit, as everything else is functioning perfectly.

I think I'll order one tomorrow, and see what the outcome is.

SJ158 (original poster)

#7: Post by SJ158 (original poster) »

Well, that answers that question.

NOT the thermostat unit.
Not the Safety cutoff valve
Not the element.

This is ridiculous. Tomorrow's job, rip the wiring out and test it link-to-link.

SJ158 (original poster)

#8: Post by SJ158 (original poster) »

]Right, Problem solved, turns out it was the relay unit.

It's my own fault, I assumed that the default position was on, and the relay tripped out when the pressure got high. Turns out it works the other way around, and the default position is 'off'

Okay, I'm going to get shot down for stating the obvious here, but for future reference to others; I installed the new cutoff (/on) unit, and the flow to the group stage was rubbish. Dribbled. Tweaked the adjuster up a few turns to up the pressure, and she's fantastic now, good as new.

Just like to thank La Spaziale UK for advice and help, they're absolutely brilliant, really deserve a 'big up'! Also for the help on here. Every bit appreciated.

And as promised, pictures (ugh) :

Firstly, the main boiler, before cleaning...

And a heat exchanger after cleaning...