Izzo Alex Duetto II internal leak w/picture

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
LATrapp

#1: Post by LATrapp »

Hi All,

I have a Duetto II. I started hearing a hiss that sounded like something was leaking internally and hitting something hot. I opened up the machine and saw the internal tube that leads to the hot water tap discolored. By comparison, the similar tube for the steam wand is still a relatively clean copper.

Anyone have an idea of how to tighten the fitting? I thought about just cranking away, but the machine was still at temperature and I figured that wasn't a great idea;). I would also call Chris Coffee where I purchased it, but I'm at work now and guessed a picture here now might solve the issue. Chris' will also be closed by the time I can get hands on with the machine.

Many thanks!

specialpants

#2: Post by specialpants »

Wow.. that looks pretty crap.

The Duettos from over a year ago had an issue with the safety valve (that cylinder tube that's on the top-middle of your picture; you cant see the top of the safety valve as it is cut off in the photo), where it would leak at pressures below 1.5 bar (ie operating pressure).

What it means is that it's spitting out water and evaporating as soon as it lands on the steam boiler. This explains the discolouration/corrosion on your boiler and hot water pipe.

Assuming it is the safety valve, you'll have to get it swapped over.

allon

#3: Post by allon »

Yeah, I don't think it would be that fitting...unless the water is dripping to the point that it is visible and hitting elsewhere. Water in that tube (and the tube itself) at idle will be less than the boiling point of water, so you won't have the sizzle factor. Can you see any water actively leaking? I would not go randomly cranking down fittings you suspect are leaking.
LMWDP #331

Burner0000

#4: Post by Burner0000 »

I completely rebuilt a VFA 2 group not too long ago.. I would let the machine cool, remove the pipe yourself if you can and inspect. This could be a thread issue in which some Teflon tape might help. I would also clean that pipe off if you can still use it. If you think it's too pricey to get replaced via Chris Coffee then try a local plumber or home depot. Should be able to make an exact replacement.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..