Strange looking espresso machine from Lello

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
duke-one

#1: Post by duke-one »

Hi: The company that makes my excellent ice cream machine, Lello, now has a inexpensive combo (grinder and espresso maker) machine. The thing that caught my eye is the very interesting lever on the side. Is this like the mechanism on a manual E-61 group head? Also something that looks like a tassel at the end of a shade pull string or is that the steam nozzle?
KDM

http://www.amazon.com/Lello-45920-Espre ... 000ON1LLA/

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Hey Duke:

I think you've been looking at quality machines too long! :lol: Isn't that just a steam wand handle that looks like a gearshift and a frother? (Now someone who has one of these things -- on this site no one might -- or who has tried a friend's can actually answer, but I couldn't help myself.)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

duke-one (original poster)

#3: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

Dr. G: That lever sure does give it a strange look. Doubt if it is any kind of decent machine but Lello's ice cream machines (the Pola and the Lussino) are great. They also make some cheaper ones that I don't know about.
Duke

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Nice looking design but they also claim the advantage of 15 bars of pressure in their advertising. It looks too much like my old Saeco with a grinder to boot for the same price. Now the PID'd Linea on your counter has some nice lever-thingy controllers and wands and stuff too, doesn't it? No, I'm wrong. I just looked at a picture of a Linea. You would you have to downgrade to an E61 to get levers. :mrgreen:
Gary
LMWDP#308

allon

#5: Post by allon »

drgary wrote:You would you have to downgrade to an E61 to get levers. :mrgreen:
E61? Oh please! You call that dinky valve-knob and switch actuator a LEVER?

;-)
LMWDP #331

Abnuceals

#6: Post by Abnuceals »

By Jove ! This one-arm bandit should be placed in the The craziest %#*$ing thing I've seen all day page. I don't believe in miracles and this thing has too many belles and whistles for its incredibly low price. Hey, it's half the price of an ice cream maker. I cannot believe it could make a decent espresso. Most of us have machines costing more than everything in a kitchen...

And yes, I believe there is sometimes true bargains for exceptional equipment as OE Pharos grinder, for example. But we know the guy and we know how he is dedicated in the espresso industry. But in that single case (Lello espresso machine), I will wait for the enlightened advice of a distinguished fellow of this forum who did try this machine.
LMWDP 389

Anvan

#7: Post by Anvan »

I've been trying to nail a good Lello or Nemox gelato machine for several months and ran into the Lello espresso maker last week when it popped up in the results of an eBay search.

$251?

Of course, features like "thermo-cream system" make you wonder (pressurized portafilter?) but the "anti drip valve" might be a bona-fide 3-way valve, and there's nothing wrong with a steam lever (but that big black plastic tip-looking thing is a little off-putting).

$251?

With free FedEx shipping. That's $150 less than the current ZP Nocturne expectations (a PID and a thermoblock can't account for all that much difference) and there's some serious tooling to amortize here.

$251?

With a grinder?

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

allon wrote:E61? Oh please! You call that dinky valve-knob and switch actuator a LEVER?

;-)
"2. A projecting handle used to adjust or operate a mechanism." http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lever

A-yup.

I like the higher end Lello ice cream machines. They look kind of prosumer. The cheapest one is all dressed up in plastic like most consumer products.
Gary
LMWDP#308

duke-one (original poster)

#9: Post by duke-one (original poster) »

I hope you all did not think I was recomending it; just noteing it's odd look. On the other point I've had my Lello Musso ice cream machine for about 12 years and it is still going strong, I make a batch about twice a month.
KDM

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

duke-one wrote:I hope you all did not think I was recomending it....
Not me. Not with what's on your counter. :lol:
Gary
LMWDP#308