How Starbucks' CEO likes his coffee - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
mitch236
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by mitch236 »

claypriley wrote:Hmmmmmm........He just goes for it with 212F Boiling water, eh?, Nice and bitter, just the way SB's likes their coffee....... I wonder what would happen if he did a little reading in here with all us H-B's? Maybe if he would let his rolling boil water have a 10-60 second rest and see what nuance flavours he could coax from his beans with less than 212F water......... Also muddy coffee means uneven grinding and lots of fines......... he must not have a Lido or Pharos.....or other quality grinder. Poor CEO, he should know that the grinder is one of the most important parts of the puzzle..........
I find it amusing that anyone here would think that the CEO of the most financially successful coffee shops in the world isn't acquainted with 3rd wave techniques, tastes, equipment etc....

HB
Admin

#12: Post by HB »

I guess it depends on the CEO. *shrug*
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
claypriley

#13: Post by claypriley »

I think it depends on the Human. And what one's palate is accustomed to. To some humans, Folgers, Yuban, etc is the status quo of coffee flavor, and if you give them some of the "3rd wave" coffee, they might not like it because it is so different........ and some might like it and their eyes would open wide to the endless possiblities.........flavors......methods.....

In the end it is all up to the user/consumer as to what makes "their" perfect cup of Joe.
LMWDP #347

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by mitch236 »

While I would agree it depends on the CEO, I don't think that holds true for the very pinnacle of CEO's. I'm would imagine Howard Schultz is very interested in knowing what the successful competition is doing. I'm not implying that he is capable or cares about the taste, but while I can't prove it, I am confident he is aware of what's out there.

claypriley

#15: Post by claypriley »

You're right, he probably is aware of what is going on........
LMWDP #347

coryforsenate

#16: Post by coryforsenate »

dkny3939 wrote:This is totally illogical but a common misconception, at least about self-made CEOs and many other such members of the top 1%. One does not climb to the highest echelon of corporate power and income by being served coffee in bed.

I thought my including a magical elf made it an obvious tongue in cheek remark. :shock:

jzuzphreek

#17: Post by jzuzphreek »

claypriley wrote:I think it depends on the Human. And what one's palate is accustomed to. To some humans, Folgers, Yuban, etc is the status quo of coffee flavor, and if you give them some of the "3rd wave" coffee, they might not like it because it is so different........ and some might like it and their eyes would open wide to the endless possibilities.........flavors......methods.....

In the end it is all up to the user/consumer as to what makes "their" perfect cup of Joe.
This is my in-laws to a tee! When they visit, I don't even bother anymore. I know they're only gonna drink what I give them cause they're polite. They much rather Folgers or flavor-oil coated beans at my Dad's house from Coffee AM. :?

It's kind of sad really.

Advertisement
mitch236
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by mitch236 »

jzuzphreek wrote:They much rather Folgers...
It's the best!!!!

Lol! I couldn't resist Dan! (inside joke)

pacificmanitou

#19: Post by pacificmanitou »

My mother is the same way! I can bring over fresh beans that I've gone to great lengths to keep safe or brew a French press or a chemex, and she still prefers folgers in her Mr. Coffee, granted its their best model and actually makes it at the right temperature, but still.. She'd never understand my need for two espresso machines and four grinders.
LMWDP #366