Espresso upsetting your stomach?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Possepat

#1: Post by Possepat »

I having a bit of trouble lately with certain espresso blends upsetting my stomach. One that seems to give me allot of trouble is a pretty dark city roast, it's a blend and has allot of oil on the beans.

A lighter roasted espresso blend seems to be much more gentle on my stomach.

Both coffees are from a quality, experienced roaster. They are always fresh and the quality is above reproach.

Just wanting to hear from other people experiencing upset stomachs with espresso to see if you have noticed any trends that tend to lean a certain direction... ie roast level, oil content etc.
"Do what you want, you're gonna do it anyways!" - My father

LMWDP #365

Possepat (original poster)

#2: Post by Possepat (original poster) »

Even any experience with espresso on an empty stomach would be useful.

LMWDP #365

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

Yes, if I wake up and knock back 2-3 shots on a completely empty stomach, it can trigger a little upset stomach. But, if I have a bite of some breakfast, or just wait a couple hours after waking, I have no problem. I have the same issue if I wake up and just drink fruit juice on an empty stomach. I have never noticed the roast level of the bean making any difference. After a meal I could drink 5 or 6 shots and not have any issues, so I think it is the empty stomach not liking the pure espresso pit stop in the morning that gets me, a latte is no issue, maybe the milk calms things down?
LMWDP #371

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 »

I find if I take too many shots close together of a robusta blend that it can really upset my stomach. A lot of this is just how your body works and a myraid of other factors as there are people that will have a shot of espresso and be sick.

LeBreadman

#5: Post by LeBreadman »

For me it happens when i take an espresso before i eat anything in the morning or on an empty stomach. Probably because of the high acidic pH of coffee

Possepat (original poster)

#6: Post by Possepat (original poster) »

My routine is usually this.

1) Alarm goes off at 5am
2) Fire up machine and pull a single shot and a single cappuccino
3) Run 5.5K to work
4) Hit the shower
5) Sit down to breakfast at work at about 7:20am

I think I will just have to rearrange the breakfast so it is in between the alarm and the coffee. Two pieces of toast should do the trick I'm hoping.

LMWDP #365

bean2friends

#7: Post by bean2friends »

I think it's the run that's getting you. Eliminate that and you'll be fine.

diggi

#8: Post by diggi »

Possepat wrote: pretty dark city roast, it's a blend and has allot of oil on the beans.

Just wanting to hear from other people experiencing upset stomachs with espresso to see if you have noticed any trends that tend to lean a certain direction... ie roast level, oil content etc.
I've had a similar experience when a little over exuberant with more than 2 doubles per session or especially with darker roasts. I'm guessing you're using java blend fog city? You could try switching to K2, and see if that makes a difference.
Otherwise, I'd have to say I agree with this......haha
bean2friends wrote:I think it's the run that's getting you. Eliminate that and you'll be fine.

michaelbenis

#9: Post by michaelbenis »

What's interesting is how this affects different people in different ways.

My routine is 2-3 leisurely singles when I wake. I am fine with darker roasts, but the lighter roasts of bright beans can easily cause discomfort.

Strangely, however, the worst is black tea - I simply can't drink it on an empty stomach...
LMWDP No. 237