The Physics of Spilled Coffee

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
clumeng

#1: Post by clumeng »

Not sure where this belongs but it belongs somewhere here. I like the comment at the end the best. Perhaps a round of funding is in order from the HB community? But knowing the level of obsession here we'd likely want to figure out a way to hook up a scace to it to measure pressure flux, compare skim and whole milk, make sure a refractometer measured extraction appropriately, and probably need to do electron microscopy on the latte/cup interface. Yeah-that might get funded.

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2 ... offee.html

However, physicist Andrzej Herczynski at Boston College thinks Krechetnikov and Mayer's study didn't go far enough. "I was personally a bit disappointed that the study is limited to cylindrical mugs ... leaving out the very common curved or conical cups, such as those used for cappuccinos and lattes in Italy," he says. "Still, the paper seems at minimum destined for the Ig Nobel Prize."
LMWDP #383

dick-san

#2: Post by dick-san »

Hmm, "But the researchers' "take home" advice is to look at what you're doing-so long as your mug isn't filled too high, a watched mug almost guarantees a clean run." doesn't agree with my experience. I used to watch the cup very carefully & would spill some most of the time. Then, a flashbulb memory coming, I asked a waitress at the University of Michigan student union in 1959 or 60 why she never spilled the coffee she delivered. She said "don't look at it." I've followed that advice for over 50 years with, mainly, nary a spill...

Spitz.me

#3: Post by Spitz.me »

First of all, it has to do with the fact that mugs don't tend to have lips that actually allow you to pour. If you don't look at the mug and still pour slowly and at a bad angle than you'll still spill the coffee. Doesn't matter what you're doing with your eyes, it's the design of the lip. Bad pouring lips on mugs only allow you to essentially THROW the coffee from one mug to the other. Sorry, I didn't read the study, mostly responding based on the reply.

In my experience, the quote is bang on. Watch the mug and go at the right pace.
LMWDP #670

thomas5267

#4: Post by thomas5267 »

We should spill sink shots, for science.

dick-san

#5: Post by dick-san »

Spitz.me wrote:First of all, it has to do with the fact that mugs don't tend to have lips that actually allow you to pour. If you don't look at the mug and still pour slowly and at a bad angle than you'll still spill the coffee. Doesn't matter what you're doing with your eyes, it's the design of the lip. Bad pouring lips on mugs only allow you to essentially THROW the coffee from one mug to the other. Sorry, I didn't read the study, mostly responding based on the reply.

In my experience, the quote is bang on. Watch the mug and go at the right pace.
Uh, the research was about walking with the cup in your hand, not pouring into the cup,,,