A trip to a local roaster

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
bamaster

#1: Post by bamaster »

Discovered a local roaster by my office today. I wasn't looking but I decided to stop by and pick up a couple pounds of an espresso blend.

The place is called Java Pura. They have a couple local shops but I strolled into their roastery (if that's a word).

Haven't tried their coffee yet, it was roasted yesterday. They pulled it out of a freezer, which they put it after roasting. Never heard of anyone doing that.

Anyways, I took a couple pics. They had a couple of these...

And apparently they are a rep for Synesso. They mentioned that the thing leaks all the time and is always being repaired. Haha! But it sure was purty!

Stereo Heathen

#2: Post by Stereo Heathen »

It's a design flaw with the Synesso machines that the drip tray leaks out the right side, and it's the ugliest, most easily (theoretically) fixable flaw that I don't understand how continues to be overlooked.

Also, "roastery" is definitely a word, and it does seem strange to me that a quality roaster would ever freeze their own coffee for sale. I'm under the impression that frozen coffee will last a good deal longer than fresh (but if it's one day post-roast this seems irrelevant!), with the tradeoff of aging faster once thawed, so that doesn't make sense to me.