Cold kitchen a problem for E61?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
flatsix

#1: Post by flatsix »

I've read somewhere around here that environmental temperature swings create problems for a PID-controlled E61 machine because the offset was established for a specific environment. In the winter our kitchen is usually 58 or 59F in the morning, high 60s during the day, sometimes 70. Does this translate into a 10F difference when the water hits the puck? If so, is there anything I can do to minimize this? Even in the summer the kitchen's temperature changes a lot. I generally keep the espresso machine on 24/7, although I don't see how that would make any difference.

Honestly I can't tell a difference between shots in the morning and shots in the afternoon, so maybe the answer to my question is, it's not a problem if I can't taste it in the cup.

Viernes

#2: Post by Viernes »

flatsix wrote:Honestly I can't tell a difference between shots in the morning and shots in the afternoon, so maybe the answer to my question is, it's not a problem if I can't taste it in the cup.
You've answered yourself.

:roll:

flatsix (original poster)

#3: Post by flatsix (original poster) replying to Viernes »

There's an element of curiousity. So I guess I should have added that I'd still like to know what others think.

Viernes

#4: Post by Viernes »

I know. :) But sometimes "overreading" causes nonexistent problems.

The PIDs can be adjusted to suit a particular situation (at least for the Duetto, dunno about the Expobar)

http://coffeetime.wikidot.com/izzo-alex ... d-settings

Not sure if that PID settings are valid for your expobar.