Fluid-O-Tech Vibe Pump Dissection: A Photo Album

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jonny

#1: Post by jonny »

I am mainly posting this per a member's request but also for the benefit of those who may be inclined to rebuild one of these pumps, or maybe you are just interested in the inner workings of vibratory pumps. I took these photos as reference for myself during the rebuild of my '83 Livietta. This pump is a 1989 70w 110v model. After dissecting this FOT pump, I have acquired a strong respect for the quality, robustness, and simplicity of this mechanism. Enjoy.

1. Electrical hook-up and pump mount
2. Flanges, end
3. Bolts and lock nuts, assembly
4. Fitting, inlet
5. Fitting, outlet
6. Coil, electrical
7. Spring and flange, piston
8. Piston
9. Gaskets, inlet and outlet fitting
10. Flange, outlet gasket
11. Spring, outlet one-way
12. Balls, glass one-way
13. Spring, inlet one-way
14. Seal, piston

Visible is electrical hook-up (1), end flanges (2), assembly bolts and lock nuts (3), inlet fitting (4), outlet fitting (5), and electrical coil (6)

with electrical hook-up (1) removed. "prod 15/89" is believed to mean produced in the 15th week of 1989.

With end flanges (2) and assembly bolts and lock nuts (3) removed, removing outlet fitting (5) to reveal one glass one-way ball (12), the tip of the piston (8) and outlet gasket flange (10) and one fitting gasket (9)

Interior of outlet fitting (5), reveals outlet one-way spring (11)

Outlet with outlet fitting (5) removed

Removing outlet gasket flange (10)

Removing piston (8) and seal (14)

Removing inlet fitting to reveal one glass one-way ball (12) sitting on inlet one-way spring (13) (not visible) inside of flange of piston spring (7). Also one fitting gasket (9)

Inlet one-way spring (13) is visible

Removing piston spring and flange (7)

Piston spring and flange (7) with inlet one-way spring (13) and one glass one-way ball (12)

Inlet fitting gasket (9) removed

Electrical coil (6) with all parts removed

It has been several months since these photos were taken but I will do my best to answer any questions, comments, or curiosities. For reassembly simply work in reverse.

Cafedenda

#2: Post by Cafedenda »

Thank you, Jonny, for such a detailed post. It really puts away all the confusions I had in reassembling the pump as, for whatever reason, I forgot to take detailed pictures during the disassembly. The piston spring with the plastic flange on yours was properly produced and is much different than mine. The little spring that sits inside of the flange is glued to the flange itself so that only 1 or 2 turns of the spring is visible above the glue. The inside of the flange is also pretty much closed off due to the over abundance of glue. I will see if I can remove some more of the glue on mine. Since I finally had a day off yesterday, I decided to remove part of the "base" of the flange to allow more water to get around the flange, instead of through it. Bad mistake as your photos show that the base should extend across the top of the spring. I will update my post late tonight or tomorrow to see if, perhaps, another member has this part from a broken FOT pump that they don't have a use for. I'd hate to give up on this pump at this point.

Thanks again for the great post.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

I'd hate to give up on this pump at this point.
Why not give Fluid-o-Tech USA a call and "see what they can do".

Shawn Thompson
Fluid-o-Tech International, Inc.
161 Atwater Street
Plantsville, CT 06479
(860) 276-9270

As with Ulka (CEME), I doubt that any rebuild kits are available but ya never can tell whether or not they have a dead one in their gold locker.

And Jonny - thanks for the pics and info.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Cafedenda

#4: Post by Cafedenda »

Eric, thanks for the contact info. I will give FOT a call soon. I was under the impression that this pump is now obsolete and parts are not available.

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

jonny wrote:It has been several months since these photos were taken but I will do my best to answer any questions, comments, or curiosities. For reassembly simply work in reverse.
Hi Jonny,

I'm curious about what did you do once you exploded the pump? Did you clean (descale?) and reassemble w/ improved results? Or did you source new gaskets and seals?

Thanks for the thorough documentation, David

jonny (original poster)

#6: Post by jonny (original poster) »

David, sorry I missed your post! (I really oughta turn on the email notifications!) I mainly disassembled the pump to evaluate the condition and a little bit curiosity! I guess it's the engineer in me :wink: I'm not sure whether or not replacement seals are available. If I found the seals to be unsubstantial, I probably would have just replaced the pump but they were all in nice shape. The seal on the nose of the piston concerned me but I went ahead and used it just to see how it would fare and it's fine. So, yes, I threw all the metal parts in citric acid and cleaned them up really well and put it back together. Not sure how it ran prior, as I did not test it, but it has been working well ever since!