Preventing or removing stains from stopper gaskets of Thermos TGS/TGU carafes

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Richard

#1: Post by Richard »

Please excuse this slightly off-topic query.

The push-button stoppers for the Thermos/Nissan TGS/TGU carafes use several whitish gaskets which acquire coffee stains, and I have not been able to find a successful way to keep them clean. Furthermore, certain soap products leave pungent odors behind which seemingly cannot be removed.

Does anyone have successful solutions for either preventing stains or for removing them without impregnating the gaskets with soap odors?

Thanks!
-- Richard

jkoll42

#2: Post by jkoll42 »

For cleaning gaskets on my thermos/contigo/technivorm carafes I use backflush detergent. Personally for soaking stuff I like Joeglo as it is less sudsy but either works. I fill the inside of the thermos with it to clean the stainless and then put the lid in a bowl of cleaner and let it soak. I usually use a little dish soap to get off any remaining residue of the cleaner and rinse.

That being said, all the cleaner in the world will not keep them white. It will make sure that you don't have any rancid oils to funk things up. My once white nissan gasket is now a beautiful hue of brown - almost looks like the color of coffee :D

cannonfodder
Team HB

#3: Post by cannonfodder »

JoeGlo works wonders.
Dave Stephens

Richard (original poster)

#4: Post by Richard (original poster) »

Does JoeGlo smell anything like Cafiza or Puro Caff? I've used both of the latter products to clean those stoppers, and the residual smell is pungent.
-- Richard