Offer my services as an "Espresso Consultant"?

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
mattaz

#1: Post by mattaz »

I'm working on a blog that reviews cafe's espressos in the town that I go to school in (Guelph, Ontario). So far, I've been quite disappointed.

I just finished reviewing a shop that specializes in smoothies, juices, etc. but was touted as having an amazing espresso. I visited a few times, but his espresso was quite bad. It occurred to me though, should I offer my services (for free) as an espresso consultant of sorts? I'm no expert, but I can easily offer him a few tips to improve his product. The owner/operator is a really nice guy and I want to help him out.

For example: the pours were 3-4oz, took about 8 seconds each (ie the "Blond Gusher"), very sour and thin. The owner grinds/fills his doser in the morning and uses these "pre-ground" beans to order. He orders his beans 1-2 times a month.

Has anyone done anything like this before?

Chert

#2: Post by Chert »

I don't think I am the only espresso fiend who laments the quality and especially at their local scene wish there were a way to improve it.

see this link:Techniques for raising the bar on local espresso bar quality?

I am sure there are others.
LMWDP #198

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Here's a simple rule: When your advice is unsolicited, you are a reviewer; when it is solicited, you are a consultant.

Once people ask you to rate their espresso; either because of your reputation, or because they are reaching out to check their quality, then you can give advice. Until then, review the local espresso in your blog, and build your reputation among its readers.
Jim Schulman

mattaz (original poster)

#4: Post by mattaz (original poster) »

another_jim wrote:Here's a simple rule: When your advice is unsolicited, you are a reviewer; when it is solicited, you are a consultant.
Seems like a good rule. I was just thinking of leaving a business card with the owner and saying something like "I'm no expert, but I can offer a few tips and maybe show you a few things to improve your espresso if you're interested. Free of charge." I'm a business student with an interest in coffee, so I would use it as valuable experience in consulting with a business owner, arranging new suppliers, etc.

Consultant might be too strong a word. He said the company he bought his grinder from told him to always keep the doser full of ground coffee during the day. He's an enthusiastic guy and I feel bad for him when he's getting poor advice like this. Also, their main focus is smoothies and I figure he'd be more receptive to advice/there'd be less ego involved since espresso is not their specialty.

jarviscochrane

#5: Post by jarviscochrane »

another_jim wrote: Once people ask you to rate their espresso; either because of your reputation, or because they are reaching out to check their quality, then you can give advice. Until then, review the local espresso in your blog, and build your reputation among its readers.
+1 well said Jim.

I would also add that you should be (at a minimum) very experienced and/or accredited as a professional in the subject area before you offer consulting services. In this case either as a cupper, barista, cafe owner or general management consultant.

If the owner was interested in improving their product, a simple google search will show that a 8 sec gusher is less then ideal. The fact that they have either not gone to the trouble of basic research, or knowingly produce a sub-par product indicates that they probably don't care about good espresso and your advice, however constructive it may be, will go unheard.

I think many here have found it's easier to make excellent espresso at home then it is to make your local cafe make excellent espresso.

mattaz (original poster)

#6: Post by mattaz (original poster) »

jarviscochrane wrote:I would also add that you should be (at a minimum) very experienced and/or accredited as a professional in the subject area before you offer consulting services.
I agree with you. My reasoning is that I'd be offering minimal "advice" for free (ie "grind your beans to order", "buy fresh beans", etc.), which is more common sense for the espresso enthusiast than it is a "consult" from a professional. And you're right, if he's not interested in improving quality then my advice is pointless, but it seemed to me that he genuinely thought he was serving good espresso (he admitted he doesn't drink/like espresso, and it was recommended to me as a good spot for espresso, which might have obscured is judgment).

Thanks for helping me weigh-in on this issue.