VST tamper? How did I miss this?? - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Anvan

#11: Post by Anvan »

So far as I understand, the VST is otherwise the same as a model you can order from Pullman. It will almost certainly be faster, easier and likely less expensive all told to order from VST. Pullman, however, has a great variety of styles, materials and colors, whereas the VST is, sensibly enough, standardized on one popular model.

Randy G.

#12: Post by Randy G. »

It's funny, this thread. Made me become momentarily introspective (HEY! It happens!). We all have our "Jones" (or "Joneses") with which to deal. Some have their cups and others their tampers. Until the Espro tamper arrived for review purposes I had been using a one-piece aluminum tamper for around eight or nine years. First it served my needs with Silvia then later with my Vibiemme. While I had been tempted to purchase a Reg Barber tamper at times, I never could bring myself to spend that much on that tool, as beautiful of a temptress as she was, while the aluminum one had served so well. "It's just a tamper." Sure I kept saying that.

The Espro click is a very good fit for my hand. The thirty-pound click is of no real value to me on a day-to-day basis, but this tamper has become my favorite. Sure, it's only a choice between two, but the mass and shape of the Espro just feels good. So as I read this thread I first thought, "How much for a tamper? IT'S A TAMPER! Just a tamper! One hundred and seventy dollars?!" But I quickly regained my senses when I realized that I had a collection of over 170 books on the American Civil War and have bought over a dozen Pendelton shirts at the thrift store over the last few years...

I read my books, I wear my Pendeltons, and you use your tampers. Next "Jones" in the queue please step forward.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
spiffdude

#13: Post by spiffdude »

I caught myself wondering what people reading these threads in 5-10 years will be thinking: "what was up with this VST thing!?"

PS: no hate please, i own two of those baskets.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!

pieter

#14: Post by pieter »

spiffdude wrote:I caught myself wondering what people reading these threads in 5-10 years will be thinking: "what was up with this VST thing!?".
Probably, although only time will tell if that will be because it has become the new standard, or if the concept has been copied by all the big names, or if it will have quietly forgotten and overshadowed by other ideas on what a basket should be like.
Kinda exciting that we know so little about making espresso, that many an idea has come and forgotten already. And of course many an idea has become so mainstream that it has become common knowledge, of which we can hardly imagine it hasn't always been so.

Randy G.

#15: Post by Randy G. »

pieter wrote:Kinda exciting that we know so little about making espresso, that many an idea has come and forgotten already. ...
Or discarded. An example is tapping the side of the portafilter or "polishing" the puck by turning the tamper. Both have been shown to be unnecessary at the least, and damaging to good extraction at the most.
I'll hold off for:
- Aerosol tamping spray and puck polish
and
- Electronic, auto hand tamper with Bluetooth and iPhone app
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

spiffdude

#16: Post by spiffdude »

Yah, i still polish by reflex sometimes. I still use my Reg Barner c-ripple piston so at least it makes a cool design in the puck.

Back to the subject, that VST tamper certainly looks nice. Since i'm not a tamper guy, i would just "settle" for a custom Reg Barber piston and my handle of choice. Or maybe it's because i'm Canadian :mrgreen:
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!