British research study finds widely-varying caffeine levels in coffee-shop espresso require caution

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
michaelbenis

#1: Post by michaelbenis »

The BBC website this morning reports a British research study has found widely-varying caffeine levels in coffee-shop espresso (from 50 mg in Starbucks to 300 in a French patisserie) and suggests this requires caution, above all from pregnant mothers, who are recommended to restrict their intake to no more than 200 mg per day.

You can read the full article here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-15968515
LMWDP No. 237

allon

#2: Post by allon »

Omgwtfbbq!
A natural product with variation!
A processing method which affects caffeine levels, but which is controlled for flavor!
Dark roasts that have less caffeine!
LMWDP #331

michaelbenis (original poster)

#3: Post by michaelbenis (original poster) »

I know, shocking ins't it?

There are now rumblings on TV about "shops should analyse their coffees and post the caffeine content so the public are aware".....

It fills me with pride. Heaven knows what Shakespeare would have said....
LMWDP No. 237

aecletec

#4: Post by aecletec »

The data in the paper is clearly presented; very much worth the free sign up to the journal if anyone is interested in seeing the results.

allon

#5: Post by allon »

"New data are needed to provide informative labelling, with attention to bean variety, preparation, and barista methods."

Uh huh.
LMWDP #331

Bob_McBob

#6: Post by Bob_McBob »

They say they ordered "single servings" of espresso, but received drinks with volumes ranging from 23-70ml (presumably measured after the crema has died down). It sounds like many of the stores actually served them doubles, which means we probably have a set of data ranging from a 7g single at Starbucks, to perhaps 20g+ doubles at other places.

Add blends with different roast levels and robusta content, and the study speaks more to the extreme lack of standardization for espresso preparation outside Italy than anything else. I guess this is what they set out to prove? I'd be interested to know exactly what wording they used when ordering the drinks (e.g. "a single" vs. "an espresso").
Chris

aecletec

#7: Post by aecletec »

It seems to me to be exactly what they set out to achieve.

Bob_McBob

#8: Post by Bob_McBob »

It's kind of like going to a bunch of burger joints and ordering "a burger" and reporting back that the nutritional content of burgers varies a lot.
Chris