Loctite for loose portafilter handle

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thomgonzales

#1: Post by thomgonzales »

The portafilter handle of my Giotto has been loose. Although I imagine a drop or two would tighten things up, would loctite on the threaded end do any harm?

genovese

#2: Post by genovese »

Not if you use the right Loctite product in accord with the manufacturer's recommendations. If the problem is occasional loosening from vibration, it should work, but then so should a good tightening. If the threads are damaged or worn to the point where there's abnormal clearance, it will likely loosen again, but Loctite may slow the process.

gscace

#3: Post by gscace »

thomgonzales wrote:The portafilter handle of my Giotto has been loose. Although I imagine a drop or two would tighten things up, would loctite on the threaded end do any harm?

Loctite 222 (the pink stuff) is easily disassembled, and fine for use here. If you have damaged threads you may need to pursue alternatives, such as helicoiling the hole, then reassembling using Loctite 222.

-greg

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

I just use two drops of red loctite.
Dave Stephens

AngerManagement

#5: Post by AngerManagement »

Fingernail polish works a treat...

Opps, let me clarify that. My wife's fingernail polish.

We often use fingernail polish for audit's, mild locking of screws and or nuts etc and pot's in the electronic game.

It's simple, works a treat and some one always has some around :oops:
Ability is nothing without opportunity. - Napoleon Bonaparte

TomC
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC »

What's the best choice for securing one that you want to be able to remove at a later date, without risk of damaging the wood or threading? A drop of rubber cement?
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

The blue Loctite (242) is removable and good up to 300F. The manufacturers use the equivalent of the red Loctite which is permanent high strength and rated for very high temperatures.
Dave Stephens