Giotto Professional Green Light

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
thomgonzales

#1: Post by thomgonzales »

Recently the green power light (and low water on the non-plumbed) on my Giotto Professional (plumbed-in only) started to flicker than went out. I suspect it's a dead bulb or loose wiring. Before tearing the machine down, I wanted to ask more experienced members if the light could indicate anything else. Everything's operating swimmingly so I'm tempted to leave it alone as the machine is operating perfectly--save the light. I leave it on continually so the power light's operation is essentially superfluous.

nixter

#2: Post by nixter »

How old is the machine? Most likely just the bulb. However you might want to check that there haven't been any water leaks causing corrosion in that area as I'd expect the bulb to just go rather than flicker but who knows.

allon

#3: Post by allon »

nixter wrote:...I'd expect the bulb to just go rather than flicker but who knows.
Is it a neon lamp?
They can flicker when they get old...in fact, when they're on the edge, having light shining on them can make them stop flickering; putting them in a dark room they'll flicker more or go out altogether.
LMWDP #331

thomgonzales (original poster)

#4: Post by thomgonzales (original poster) »

The machine is about to have it's second birthday and hasn't had any leaking for more than a year. As to whether it's a neon light or not, I'm really not sure. It looks like the ones pictured below:

http://www.espressoparts.com/W_32
or
http://www.espressoparts.com/MAZ_34

spiffdude

#5: Post by spiffdude »

Did you try taking the covers off to inspect and wiggle the connection?

If it seems to be the light, ask the dealer you bought the machine from to get you a replacement bulb. If that fails, you can try contacting Rocket directly on their web site, they are usually very helpful.
Damn this forum, I've had too m..muh...mah..mmmm..much caffeine!