Coffee ice cream recipe - Page 2

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#11: Post by cannonfodder »

allon wrote: And if you have problems with icing (fortress of solitude syndrome) research the use of winter wheat proteins in ice cream -
Just eat it faster.
Dave Stephens

allon

#12: Post by allon »

Okay, getting a little off topic here, into the general subject of ice cream, but there are some really interesting techniques used in commercial ice cream manufacture.

If you've seen the "slow churned" or other variants of lower-fat ice creams which taste full fat, you can look up the patents listed on the container to read about the techniques - in a nutshell, they knead the ice cream at a low temperature for a longer period of time, and this stretches out the fat molecules to make them more available to the tongue - this makes the ice cream taste (mouthfeel) more like a fattier ice cream without containing as much fat.

Neat stuff.

REALLY off topic:
I used to give a presentation at my office, on the science of ice cream. I'd bring in a 25l dewar of liquid nitrogen and have lots of fun. Once I had some LN2 left over and brought it home..I asked my (then) three-year old if there was ANY flavor of ice cream he wanted, and I'd make it for him.

Peas.

Oooookay. So I bought some organic sweet peas, gently steamed 'em, blenderized them with some cream, milk, sugar, and damn it made a really good (but weird) sweet peas 'n cream ice cream.

To get back on topic, my usual coffee ice cream recipe involves doing a cold (toddy-style) extraction into the milk/cream, adding sugar and LN2 and making some ice cream.
LMWDP #331

duke-one

#13: Post by duke-one »

I use Kahlua in my "Mocha" ice cream. Two squares of baking chocolate, about 4 oz. of Kahlua as the flavoring in my basic I/C mix. I put the Kahlua in the double boiler with the chocolate and some of the milk, it knocks down the alcohol which, I believe, makes the mix freeze quicker in my Musso Lello machine. I have made several batches of this in a row as it is one of my favorite flavors.
KDM