About to travel 6 hours with La Marzocco GS3; should I empty it?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
misterdoggy

#1: Post by misterdoggy »

I'm about to drive down to an apartment we rented in Nice in the South of France, from our home in the Alpes, so the ride is about 6 hours. The decision is whether to just empty the reservoir below and throw it in the trunk or do you think I have to do a more complex emptying of the machine water wise. What are the risks if any of just putting it in the back and driving with it.

I mean I moved it from room to room whats the difference ?

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

Unless subject to freezing wouldn't worry about draining water. I would be concerned with excessive joustling and possibly internal connections coming loose. I'd pad it well, use your best down comforter. :wink:
Mike McGinness

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

I didn't bother with any special preparations when I borrowed one. Assuming you handle it with care and secure it properly, it's really no different than moving it to another room. Of course it would be lighter if empty, if you care about the total weight.

From One week with the La Marzocco GS3
Dan Kehn

misterdoggy (original poster)

#4: Post by misterdoggy (original poster) »

Sounds like I should put it on my pillow :)

danetrainer

#5: Post by danetrainer »

The steam boiler is incredibly easy to drain and you should be doing this on a monthly basis to reduce mineral deposit build up. It holds 3.5L so it would reduce weight quite a bit for lifting around. Remove the left side panel, then at the bottom left side of the steam boiler you will remove a safety cap and turn the valve...voila, all the water will drain out.

misterdoggy (original poster)

#6: Post by misterdoggy (original poster) »

If I empty the steam boiler is it hard to get it going afterwards ? Filling and getting air bubbles out ?

I would like to empty it anyhow its been a year since I bought the machine