How to set up external water pump for espresso machine?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
menghazard

#1: Post by menghazard »

I have seen some clever individuals on HB who use separate water pump for their espresso machines. I would like to set it up as well. What kind/brand of pump are you using? What's the pressure of the water would be when it goes into the machine? I went to Lowe's today and all i could find were submersible pumps for swimming pools. :( Please give this newbie some guidance.
Thank you and appreciate all responds
Suthee

Euology101

#2: Post by Euology101 replying to menghazard »

Suthee,

I would start off your thread giving a little bit of info about the machine in which you are planning on using the pump for. This way, people with that machine, or similar can chime in on any experiences they have had. Also, the type of pump that is used in commercial espresso machines isn't generally found in local hardware stores.

Here is one example for a La Marzocco Linea: Procon Pump
You will also need a Motor: Motor
The motor is set up for 220v, so you would have to find a motor and pump small enough to run on 110v if you have a 110v machine.

Just some references.

-Justin

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by Peppersass »

Euology101 wrote:I would start off your thread giving a little bit of info about the machine in which you are planning on using the pump for.
Yes, that would be helpful. Are you asking about setting up an external pump for your Silvia? What's the objective? Do you want to reduce noise and vibration, or are you looking for a way to refill the reservoir automatically?

Either way, you're looking at a somewhat difficult project as Silvia is not designed to be plumbed in and the reservoir doesn't have a level detector.

menghazard (original poster)

#4: Post by menghazard (original poster) »

Dick green, i'm setting up external pump for my duetto. I want a way to refill the machine automatically. I have read about it that the pressure that goes into the espresso machine should be 1.5-2.0 bar. Is this number about right?

Euology101

#5: Post by Euology101 replying to menghazard »

I know the new version of the Duetto has a kit which can make it plumbed in. Although you will get great help from the people on this forum, the best and fastest way to get the correct answer right out of the gate, would be to call Chris from Chris Coffee. He will tell what you need if it is possible, and probably have a kit already set up, if it is possible.

Bob_McBob

#6: Post by Bob_McBob »

You don't need an external pump to run the Duetto off a water line. All you need to do is get the appropriate hose and connector and attach it to the inlet on the bottom and flip the switch over to direct connect.
Chris

Jeff
Team HB

#7: Post by Jeff »

Depending on your (house) line pressure, you may want a pressure regulator to drop it so that the fill valve doesn't have to hold back as much force. A sediment filter, if not already present, would be a good idea as well. Both of these will help reduce the chance of a fill-valve failure that could result in a messy flood.