Opinion on used Mazzer Mestre

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
odradek

#1: Post by odradek »

I've seen one on ebay, 2 yrs old. I'm wondering how people rate it,also after 2 years, is it likely to need the burrs replacing (it's been used in a cafe).

old442

#2: Post by old442 »

That is a Mazzer Major, buy it!

I have a Rio badged Major at home and love it. It blows away the Super Jolly at my local coffee shop. Granted mine has the larger motor, 900 watts vs the standard 650 watts, but that is still larger than the Super Jolly at 350 watts. Also the Major has HUGE burrs (83mm) compared to the SJ (64mm) and the mini (58mm).

It is LARGE and won't fit under 17" cabinets with the hopper. I think the grinder is 16" tall without the hopper. My wife initially gave me grief about its size, but now nothing else I buy looks large in comparison. :D This grinder has made a big difference in the quality of my shots compared to the Rocky I was using. This is one purchase I have absolutely no regrets about.

As far as the burrs needing replacement, dunno. The burrs should be able to last through about 500-800lbs, but they are cheap and easy to replace. Buy the grinder (super cheap right now), buy the burrs and you should not have to replace them again for 10 years.
Kurt
LMWDP 114

odradek (original poster)

#3: Post by odradek (original poster) »

thanks! its 99 pence with 2 days to go, so i'm hoping not many other people see it!

old442

#4: Post by old442 »

I just checked the auction and it shows ended. Hopefully YOU were the bidder. Let us know what's up.
Kurt
LMWDP 114