The Mazzer Super Jolly Mod session

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
mogogear

#1: Post by mogogear »

Well, I found a super jolly.. she is an old one, check out the Mazzer badge in the photos. I decided to go doserless and after reading the other mod posts - I kept thinking on what had been used: A cocktail shaker with some nice saw work done to make it into a funnel and a really simple 2liter soda bottle mod, Lino's nice weld job and a simple copper elbow grounds chute. I wanted to avoid the static issue so metal was my target. Also how to really get the best bean hopper to really make it low profile. We'll get to what I found and think maybe the ultimate el-cheapo doser-less funnel.. more later on my find...

So got rid of the doser (had about 6,500 on the counter) and re-wired the circuits to take care of the micro switches that had controlled the motor. BTW this was a 220v model that had already been converted to 110v.

After sanding and masking I repainted with the Hammer rite silver paint, replaced the 4 rubber feet and did all the obligatory cleaning of the burrs and such (you have all seen that stuff).

So here she is- with a new stainless canning funnel (thanks to the tip I found in earlier posts) that fits really well and a La Marzocco tamper sits in the top as a lid- toss in the beans and tamper on top. No jumping beans!

I also cut some aluminum flashing from Home Depot to make the cover over the motor. I still need to drill the hole and screw down the bottom edge. I have a nice guillotine paper cutter that cut the flashing with real nice lines.

Funnel was at a local Kitchen Store for about $10

Fits really nice in the top- looks great

Here is that old badge- I have no idea when this badge was on the latest model- 1970's or 80's?

So I should get my "funnel" find device in the mail in a day or so . It has a 5" top diameter so it should bolt right into the cavity left by the doser gone adios' The original doser lid should also fit! It has straight enough sides (I hope) that it should be snug and straight. The bottom opening is about 2.5" in diameter. Aluminum material. I will have to see if it needs to be tighter to fill the PF without making a mess..... more soon
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

jesawdy

#2: Post by jesawdy »

Greg-

Looks nice, good job on the paint. I would suspect with 6500 on the doser counter, the "odometer" might have rolled over a few times.

So how was this converted previously from 220V to 110V?

Look forward to your update.
Jeff Sawdy

Advertisement
mogogear (original poster)

#3: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

You know Jeff- Assume it was- the sticker under the bottom of the machine says 220v- It has some shop sticker there as well. It has a big old honkin' power switch. with a notation on it that says it is 3 phase capable! So I cannot shed anylight there. I really hope my off-the-shelf find for the funnel assembly works like I plan.
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

#4: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

So my funnel source arrived- and the measurements from the ebay seller did not hold true- but since I paid $3.50 for it I will still see if I can make it work and not spear the seller. The top diameter is 4" instead of the 4.75" I wanted to have a match for the original doser diameter to make a clean install and the path for the ground coffee to be the absolute shortest possible.

Here is the piece in place:

Here is a view where I was able to "funnel" light streaming out of the cute like espresso :wink: to show the bottom exit opening. BTW the bottom opening is 1.75" in diameter. Height is 5":

I will need to add wedge spacer between the chute and the areas at the two screw locations. This will stabilize the chute. As a note the doser cover for my Nuova Simonelli MCF is on top of the cute in the first picture..

OK here is a shot of the item I used to scavenge my chute from......

Can you tell exactly what piece I used :wink: :wink: :wink: do you know what that thing is?

All in all -promising- but it is still not the perfect fit I was hoping for. Call me a nut-but I want the original doser lid to fit... But I am on the right track I think--So more searches in Google Images for Cone, funnel chute etc etc and work on the wedge spacer .. ....... But a inexpensive fix is getting closer..
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

jesawdy

#5: Post by jesawdy »

mogogear wrote:Can you tell exactly what piece I used :wink: :wink: :wink: do you know what that thing is?
Some sort of pastry glazer... i.e. for cinnamon rolls etc.?
Jeff Sawdy

#6: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

Donut Maker

I'm not one to hold very small suspense for long
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

jesawdy

#7: Post by jesawdy »

Although it would be plastic, your picture got me thinking of alternatives... a nose cone for a "large" (by most standards at least, see pic below) scale model rocket might work.

Hello AndyS?

Andy's parody on the Estes model rocket Fat Boy, telling the BATF where to put it!
Jeff Sawdy

Advertisement

#8: Post by mogogear (original poster) »

Ok, the search goes on.......Now I found something right under ... errrr over my nose- or my head actually, No Jeff I have no rockets in the basement :wink: :wink:

So this is a squattier version of the Donut maker- funnel-but not a foodservice product... the Mazzer doser lid fits perfectly!

From the top into the funnel

And guess what this"funnel" used to be based on this naked light bulb?

BTW I think I got this magnetic light for my old drill press about 3 years ago at Harbor Freight Tools :shock:

So .... there you go

greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

espressme

#9: Post by espressme »

Hi Greg,
Bright Idea! That is using your knoggin! :)
sincerely
richard
richard penney LMWDP #090,

cannonfodder
Team HB

#10: Post by cannonfodder »

Would you say you had an illuminating experience?
Dave Stephens