Lever Espresso Machine Gallery - Page 11

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mgwolf
Supporter ♡

#101: Post by mgwolf »

Doug,
The Astoria is really sweet. Let us know how the shots are and how they compare to previous levers of yours. Michael

Fullsack

#102: Post by Fullsack replying to mgwolf »

Thanks Michael

I'm still dealing with the learning curve, but I'm thinking, I may have to recant some of my earlier statements about why manual lever machines are better than spring action.

Having a plumbed-in/direct drain machine is better than I would have imagined.

The shots are looking great, but too hot for the low volume drinks I prefer. When I get it dialed-in, I'll be able to make some fair comparisons.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

Fullsack

#103: Post by Fullsack »

mgwolf wrote:Doug,
The Astoria is really sweet. Let us know how the shots are and how they compare to previous levers of yours. Michael
What a difference a bar makes. I dropped the pressurestat down to .9 bar from a little over 1.0 bar and now the Astoria is turning out terrific shots at a perfect temperature. Even the single shots are great, thanks in part to the use of Dave's nickel trick and the WDT single basket technique.

Buyer's Guide to the Vibiemme Domobar Super

WDT for single baskets and low headspace machines

An added benefit of the lower pressurestat setting is, I'm able to steam smaller quantities of milk without needing a major wipe down of the machine afterwards.

The spring lever action provides a consistency that is difficult to achieve with a manual lever. Several LMWDP members have asserted that in the Lever Forum, now I get it.

My only complaint about the Astoria is the heating element. Every time it kicks in, the click can be heard from every room in the house.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

Knock

#104: Post by Knock »

Well folks this baby was beyond my means at about $800 but I thought you might like to see some pics:

Model F Type F serial number 25, supposedly 1930's but somehow I think that bit's wrong.

I hope no one minds these PBNP posts as I don't actually own them: I think it's a nice place to keep a lever reference library. If there are serious objections then I'll stop and start a myspace page or something.

I love the etched image on the boiler!

sneaky
Peter Kilpatrick

Cathi

#105: Post by Cathi »

WOW! That is so cool. I really like the pictures. It is a beautiful machine.
Cathi
LMWDP #113

mogogear

#106: Post by mogogear »

I have to say I like the "Devil in the basement" red light in the base! Nice find - Thanks for sharing
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

Oscar Peterson

#107: Post by Oscar Peterson »

This machine was on the German ebay and I had the intention to place a bid, but unfortunately someone from Australia had much more money to spend for it.
I guess the machine is from the 50s or 60s and definitly not from the 30s as stated.

Regards,
Julius

Dogshot

#108: Post by Dogshot »

Fullsack wrote:What a difference a bar makes. I dropped the pressurestat down to .9 bar from a little over 1.0 bar and now the Astoria is turning out terrific shots at a perfect temperature. Even the single shots are great, thanks in part to the use of Dave's nickel trick and the WDT single basket technique.

Buyer's Guide to the Vibiemme Domobar Super

WDT for single baskets and low headspace machines

An added benefit of the lower pressurestat setting is, I'm able to steam smaller quantities of milk without needing a major wipe down of the machine afterwards.

The spring lever action provides a consistency that is difficult to achieve with a manual lever. Several LMWDP members have asserted that in the Lever Forum, now I get it.

My only complaint about the Astoria is the heating element. Every time it kicks in, the click can be heard from every room in the house.
Congrats on such a wise purchase! After getting a PV Export and enjoying the benefits of a spring lever design, I began to wonder about the combination of a spring lever with a 58mm group and an HX design. The Astoria seems to be one of the few spring lever machines that delivers all these features.

I would love to see more photos of it in action, and hear more about your experiences with it. I think it is pretty close to the ultimate espresso machine.

Mark
LMWDP #106

Knock

#109: Post by Knock »

Without lever I am as sounding brass or clashing cymbals -
La Cimbali Gran Luce

Peter Kilpatrick

mogogear

#110: Post by mogogear »

As always your great visual finds , indeed prove you can PBNP- you sir are King! Thanks for keeping us in tune with what is available on the World market
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067