HotTop digital & programmable profiles - Page 7

Discuss roast levels and profiles for espresso, equipment for roasting coffee.
Fullsack (original poster)

#61: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

Fullsack wrote:HotTop Programmable "P" profile settings for a total roast time of between 18:30 and 19:00
225 grams, Liquid Amber, Variac at 122, (110 volts).

Segment 1
Temp: 216
Time: 2:30
Fan: 0

Segment 2
Temp: 271

Segment 3
Temp: 302

Segment 4
Temp: 336

Segment 5
Temp: 356

Segment 6
Temp: 381
Fan: 1

Segment 7
Temp: 412
Time: 3:00
Fan: 2

Segment 8
Temp: 414
Time: 1:00
Fan: 3

The program is a little buggie. In segment 1, it blows past the 216 degree limit and goes to 234. Scroll through your saved program before starting a roast. The HotTop gremlins have a mind of their own and like to play tricks.
I haven't been that happy with this profile on any of my roasts. One roast got away from me early on and had a quick ramp-up. I slowed it down right away and still had a roast time of around 18:30. This roast was the best tasting ever, but unfortunately, I don't have the temp splits. Long story short, start with a faster ramp-up, then quickly, (after a minute or so), a slow it down, (don't stall the roast), accelerate again, but go slow into the FC to extend the time between the first and second cracks. This should improve the results.
LMWDP #017
Kill all my demons and my angels might die too. T. Williams

#62: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

Fullsack wrote:You could get more precise readings with a thermocouple, but it doesn't seem necessary.
I am eating my words on this. If your are going to take your roasting to a higher level, knowing the temperature of your bean mass is a must.

See Randy G's website for detailed instructions:

http://www.espressomyespresso.com/

How-To Pages
9- Add Bean Temperature Monitoring to the Hottop
LMWDP #017

#63: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote:Of them all, I really like the new "B" and would recommend it over the more expensive "P,"
After weeks of struggling with the "P" and now using the "B," I couldn't agree more.
LMWDP #017

#64: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

This cafeIKE chaff tray tip has been incredibly helpful in improving my roasts from the HotTop:

Green bean for enhancing espresso blend's body

It slows down the time between the first and second cracks as recommended by Ken Fox in his roasting tips thread:
Ken Fox wrote:(5) I roast almost to but never past second crack (your taste may differ), and I try to keep the interval between onset of 1st and what would be onset of 2nd at around 4 minutes, never more and never less than 3.5 minutes.
(Hopefully) Useful Home Roasting Tips
LMWDP #017

#65: Post by Fullsack (original poster) »

Fullsack wrote:This cafeIKE chaff tray tip has been incredibly helpful in improving my roasts from the HotTop:
If you are going to use this technique, be aware that chaff will accumulate behind the tray and needs to be removed after each use. A light tap or two on the right side of the HotTop will knock out some additional chaff that accumulates inside and can also be done between roasts. This, however, is not a substitute for removing drum every 4-5 roasts and cleaning the inside of the roaster.
LMWDP #017

Randy G.

#66: Post by Randy G. »

Fullsack wrote:This cafeIKE chaff tray tip has been incredibly helpful in improving my roasts from the HotTop
If you have one of the later models (beginning with the "D+" I think) be sure to note the tip about pulling the chaff tray out no more than about 2mm. You will want to test this without beans. If pulled too far the chaff tray microswitch will signal the roaster to eject the beans. The chaff tray is a malleable aluminum, so moving it slightly might cause this as well. If so, you may have to spread the tray s that it is a little wider. The 2mm warning is also important since allowing too much cool air to enter in this way will drop the temperature too much.

I have seen that the onset of first crack is fairly consistent in regards to displayed temperature, so that can be used to predict first, thus making it fairly easy to begin to drop the heat at the correct moment.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

CoffeeOwl

#67: Post by CoffeeOwl »

Fullsack wrote:After weeks of struggling with the "P" and now using the "B," I couldn't agree more.
a little comparison between the P and B - question:
In the P, the heating goes fully on until the set temperature is attained. So if it reaches the temperature in the middle of the segment how does it further apply the heating power?
In the B, one can reduce the heating, however it needs to be done manually and if one wants to keep the temperature at constant for some time, one has to set the heating output manually and keep an eye on it. In the P manual it is written the unit 'circulates its heating element' so that the temperature remains the same throughout segment(s). The big question is how? is it just turning the heating off and then on or is there any more intelligent programming invovled?
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

mrgnomer

#68: Post by mrgnomer »

I have a P and from observing over 100 roasts I can say the element varies its output relative to the set temp vs. time. As the set temp is approached the element output proportionally reduces. It's possible with the P to hold the element at what looks like 50% output if you control the set temperature during the segment.

I've never really thought of it but from how the P is designed it would be possible to hold a set temp if you want to. The segment has to reach that temp and as it drops the element will cycle to try to hold it. It's not easy to do. The Hottop chamber gets pretty hot and more often than not the chamber temp will shoot well past a set temp if that set temp is much lower than the segment's max temp and if the segment time is long enough for the set temp to be reached. It's a trick to bring a Hottop to a temp you want and hold it there, in my experience.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

CoffeeOwl

#69: Post by CoffeeOwl »

Thanks!
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

Cafesp

#70: Post by Cafesp »

Randy G. wrote:

The newer Hottops (I believe the models since the one they call the KN-8828D+) with the larger chaff tray has a number of improvements such as a better main motor and mount, some electronic improvements, a chaff tray switch that remind the user to empty the chaff tray at th end of the roast (and will not allow restarting before that chore is done), the fuse on the power board has been eliminated, and various safety features have been programmed in sch as the user has to hit a button when the roast reaches 414F to be able to continue the roast, and the beans auto eject if the machine reads internal temp of 428.

The latest version of the "P" and "B" have improved electronic main power boards.

Of them all, I really like the new "B" and would recommend it over the more expensive "P," not just for lower cost but for superior control using manual adjustment of heating element power and fan speed during the roast. The biggest difference is that the "P" can save 9 profiles and the "B" can save only 23, but with the "B" you can modify a profile in real time and just choose not to store it at the end of the roast and the base profile will be unchanged and ready to use again...
Fullsack wrote:After weeks of struggling with the "P" and now using the "B," I couldn't agree more.
So the "final answer" for my roaster search should be....."B"! :roll:

Nathan
Love is in the air, Taste it!