Getting started with the Vibiemme DoubleDomo Super

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
annp

#1: Post by annp »

Hey gang - I know those of us who pre ordered are getting our machines any minute. Has anyone received their Vibiemme DoubleDomo yet?

I know this because there is a charge on my card this morning from Stefanos : )

Anyway, I'd really like to read about everyone's experience with the VBM. I know there will be an official review here, which is good as well - but for us pioneers, I'd like to share information.

I will say when I got one of the very first Anitas, you all really helped me to hit the ground running. Dan was kind enough to send me some info via email before I even got the machine with some set up info. I was successful at making good espresso pretty much from day one.

And thanks to all of you fellow enthusiasts, I've never used anything but a bottomless portafilter.

So sadly, I will not be able to use my VBM once I get it for a while due to extenuating circumstances (unless someone wants to come to Atlanta and play assistant Barista for me), which is ironic. I will be able to sit in front of my computer or my laptop and read about it though. And absorb all sorts of data.

So, please share your experiences - I am sure I won't be the only person benefiting from reading this. Just don't make me laugh too hard, ok?

Ann

seattlesetters

#2: Post by seattlesetters »

I'll be watching this thread very closely. The Vibiemme DoubleDomo Super is sitting perfectly in my sites right now, but I won't be able to pull the trigger until next March. Everything I can learn from the great folks here before making the final purchase decision will be time well spent.

DavidBB

#3: Post by DavidBB »

I'm hoping mine gets here in the next few weeks, so I'll be watching this thread with interest also.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

annp wrote:I know there will be an official review here, which is good as well - but for us pioneers, I'd like to share information.
Due to heavy customer demand and the need for demonstration models for the upcoming SCAA conference, the review will be delayed until late May/early June. I look forward to reading first impressions from the early adopters.
Dan Kehn

networkcrasher

#5: Post by networkcrasher »

Mine shipped today and will be here Monday according to UPS. :D I think it could have shipped yesterday but I was out of town here in Augusta and didn't have access to fax in my approval for the order from 1st-line. Apparently they consider it a commercial machine and need a signature to release it.

annp (original poster)

#6: Post by annp (original poster) replying to networkcrasher »

You know, I got super busy on Friday and have no email from anyone about the tracking number for my machine. I wonder if thats why I've not heard?

Sounds like a job for Monday!

Also - Mark - I'm in the ATL too : )

Where do you get your beans?

Ann

networkcrasher

#7: Post by networkcrasher »

Hey Ann, I'm not sure about Stefano's as I got mine from 1st-line. Didn't know I needed to sign anything until I got a call that the machine was in.

I'm over in Smyrna off South Cobb, but work in Midtown. Love the ATL!

I usually get mine from the GCBC or Sweet Marias. I haven't found a local roaster that I really like other than the Counter Culture stuff I can pick up at Octane - but those beans are expensivo! The roaster for Bergdorf and Bronson is kinda close to my house, but I don't know if I can go over there and pick up greens or not. I don't even know of any high end espresso retailers for equipment in the ATL area! I've heard of the Faema/Astoria one called Southeast Espresso or something, but that's it.

networkcrasher

#8: Post by networkcrasher »

So my machine arrived today! It's much heavier than I imagined and there are some sharp(!) edges on it. I saw blood splotches all over it after I got it onto the counter and didn't realize I had cut myself. There are some instructions to check the height of the boilers but that's about it. The instruction manual seems to be from a normal HX style Domobar Super, along with a PID specific sheet. It's pretty quiet until it goes up to pressure while pulling a shot, and that's with the back cover and top taken off. I'm not sure what it will sound like when the covers are on. I made a double for me and a latte for the mrs and she gave me approval and a smile. I need to dial in the grind a bit better and get a tamping stand for the single spout, but all in all I'm very impressed. The only odd thing I've noticed so far is the steam boiler is pre-set to 1.5bar and after pulling a shot, the boiler pressure stays where it was during the shot, even though I noted a discharge from the 3way upon moving the lever back down. If I do a flush after that, the pressure in the gauge seems to drop back to 0.
The naked PF for my Silvia doesn't fit at all. Gasket probably needs to be changed for one of the thinner ones.

Let the pics begin! (I know they're dark - I was excited and this thing shines so much, it's hard to photograph) They're also here for larger resolution

I'm not sure what they were thinking with this OPV location. It's pointing at the boiler when it could easily point backwards towards the hole in the frame under the water pallet.

I'm surprised that the steam boiler (to the right) is much smaller than the brew boiler! The steam is nice and dry though. Worked great on my first latte tonight.

networkcrasher

#9: Post by networkcrasher »

I'm pretty sure the pressurestat isn't supposed to look bent like that. It's impossible to get to the adjustment through the hole below the cup tray. Will ask about that tomorrow.

networkcrasher

#10: Post by networkcrasher »