Entry Level Quickmill 0930

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
dcmusichound

#1: Post by dcmusichound »

I have posted this question in CoffeeGeek, but so far have received no responses. I am trying to track down any first-hand information on a low-end Quickmill espresso machine, Quick Espresso Plus or 0930 (http://www.espresso.com/0930.html). Anyone here have an experience with this machine? Thanks

ideor

#2: Post by ideor »

omre (quickmill) pioneered home erogation about 1960. the 0930 is part of a family of models built around a quality thermoblock. these units are capable of a good coffee but it can be a challenge to get them to repeat. they have been also private labelled through the years with names like messoni, poccino, invento, intedge, conti and others.

one feature of the group design is that the pf seal is an o-ring that seals against the inner wall of the coffee filter rather than against the lip of the filter as on most other machines. this o-ring is small in cross section and its service life can be brief as compared with other pf gaskets. it is wise to keep a few spares on hand.

parts and service are available from vaneli's in california.

to read up on owner experiences check the alt.coffee archives. in addition to searching for quickmill search for omre and for messoni. the company was called omre up to about 1990 when they did a reorganisation and now use the quickmill name for both company and products. they were formerly located in monza.

factory web site here: http://www.quickmill.it/

vaneli's web site here: http://www.vanelis.com/

alt.coffee archives here: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.coffee/topics?hl=en

best wishes with the machine should you decide to proceed.

ideor

Advertisement
DaveC

#3: Post by DaveC »

I reviewed the 3002, outwardly it is very similar in some ways, but was a more expensive model, I think the internals might be similar as would it's operation (looking at the picture). The company I did this for decided not to stock the machine (because it wasn't in line with the type of equipment they were selling), but they still posted the review on their website.. I definitely think you may want to read it before making a purchase decision.

You can read it here

dcmusichound (original poster)

#4: Post by dcmusichound (original poster) »

Thanks. That was just the kind of info I was looking for.

I purchased a demo unit from Vanelli's about a month ago. I am mechanically minded, just not very savvy about espresso machines in particular. The review is great for answering some of the questions I had about the machine's internal workings. The only thing I don't understand is your finding that it doesn't get hot enough. I stuck a thermocouple in the portafilter and was getting 205F (96C) readings 20 mins after warm-up. I actually found out I was pulling shots too soon after boiler recovery. If I wait about 45-50 seconds, shots come out nice and sweet.

The main problem I have with the machine is that hex nut sticking down in the middle of the shower screen. I know this is not the only machine that has a hex nut like this, but what I find really inexplicable is that it has a screw slot, which tends to get grounds in it. I can't imagine that this was actually assembled with a flat-head screw driver.

There are other aspects about the machine that are not ideal, some identified in the review. I usually drink my coffee straight, so the wand issues are not a problem for me unless I am making a drink for visitors or my gf on the weekend. The body of the model I have is plastic, which obviously isn't nearly as nice as the steel, but for the price I paid, I really can't complain. I do like the big warming tray and despite the light weight of the portafilter, it still gets very hot after flushing.

Thanks again for all the info.