Do you suffer from upgraditis?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.

Do you suffer from upgraditis?

Yes
64%
No
36%

Total votes: 107

WilsonHines

#1: Post by WilsonHines »

Urban Dictionary wrote:Upgraditis - A terminal condition, the main symptom of which presents as the insatiable desire to upgrade. A word originally coined by Isaac Sibson, and now increasingly prevalent in internet based discussions.

'Isaac, I have a great new cam, but now I want loads of accessories too.'
'Yes Brad, you have upgraditis.'
You know, when I was in my twenties I had to have the latest and greatest thingamajig that I could research out and find for whatever I was interested in at that time. For example, golf equipment.

I took my first golf lesson from a professional before I ever even attempted a swing. My thought here was "Why start bad habits, get educated FIRST." The first day, the Pro told me I needed to go buy some clubs, something like some Sam's Club or Walmart special for $200, or something along those lines. Man o man, I went strait out and bought a $1800 set of Callaway's. I cut to the chase! I didn't want to spend $200, then $1000 and then $1,800. I just went ahead and spent the $1,800. I never looked back and I think my golf game improved like a rocket because of the quality of equipment I was using, of course the proper mechanics via good training were equally helpful. Within a year I was shooting in the high 80's. Then, here came the driver upgraditis. I went ahead and bought a Big Bertha Driver when I bought the irons and I could hit a ball about 280 yards, after I learned how to hit the ball. But, about two years ago Callaway came out with a new "Fusion Driver." I took the demo out to the first tee outside the clubhouse and smacked the ball on first strike to the green, 310 yards. The next ball rolled past the green, 330 yards. The next one did about 295 to the front edge of the green. Here is my credit card: SOLD!. That club is crazy, just stupid crazy.

But, with espresso? Do you have upgraditis? Did you start out with a Rancilio Silvia and find yourself wanting something better in a few months? And after that, even something better? Just like with the clubs, my first machine was a Faema 2 group, 220v and plumbed into the water and drainage. I remember thinking as I was driving the machine home "Man, this is going to be great. I am going to plumb and wire this machine and magically FANTASTIC espresso will drop from the group!"

Did anybody else think this? What a mistake. It took a good month and about $200 of espresso beans before I even liked what I was doing. The problem was I had a high expectation on what I thought espresso should taste like because the exposure I had at Coffee & Crema in Greenville, SC (http://coffeeandcrema.com) was fantastic.

Now, if you have had your machine for six months, a year, two years or whatever and your making very good espresso, do you have upgraditis?

Me personally? Sometimes I think I would like to trade my commercial machine for a Expobar Brewtus or another E61 type of group head. Smaller, still plumbed in and a little better results. But, going through the learning curve? I don't think I want to go through all of that. At least not for a long while.

zin1953

#2: Post by zin1953 »

Well, not any more! After letting me drill two holes through the granite countertop and installing an Elektra T1, if I told her I wanted to upgrade my machine, I think she WOULD kill me!

I am still toying around with upgrading my "backup" grinder (my stepless, doserless QuickMill) . . . I love the idea of this, but that's hardly a backup. :wink: Then again, maybe this might be an option . . . :mrgreen:
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

mhoy

#3: Post by mhoy »

zin1953 wrote:Well, not any more! After letting me drill two holes through the granite countertop and installing an Elektra T1, if I told her I wanted to upgrade my machine, I think she WOULD kill me!
Not anymore here either, an Elektra T1 seems just fine. 8) However I did have to promise to install a granite counter along with a kitchen remodel. :D Now the grinder, well I have similar thoughts as Jason. The KA Proline is awaiting replacement. My rebuilt Cadet is just too big, really hoping for good reviews of the Baratza Vario.

Mark

Joel_B

#4: Post by Joel_B »

No particular desire to upgrade machine; rotory pump would be nice, but fine with what I have. Grinder is a different story though. Would like to get a SJ, Major, MXK7, or something in that class of grinder.

Spresso_Bean

#5: Post by Spresso_Bean »

I don't have upgraditis anymore, and I actually feel like I have more equipment than I need, but I still hesitate to sell any of it lol. If I was thinking of upgrading to something such as a GS3, I'd probably rather get a nice drum roaster (Diedrich, Ambex, etc.) instead because I am really enjoying the roasting part just as much as pulling shots and making drinks.
LMWDP #200

mgrayson
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by mgrayson »

Machine: La Pavoni -> Andreja -> GS/3. Very happy with each step.

Grinder: De Longhi -> Baratza -> Macap Electronic -> Macap MK7R -> Versalab M3. Huge improvements in quality except for the last step. That was for convenience/counter space (and the quality is stellar).

Still wish I had a Robur :wink:

Matt

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

I no longer suffer from upgraditis, but I certainly did at one time. In retrospect, much of my interest was prompted by online discussions of the latest-and-greatest. Nowadays I realize that beyond the typical E61 espresso machine/Mazzer grinder, equipment upgrades represent only small incremental improvements. If it weren't for the necessary background testing as part of the site's reviews, I would definitely thin the equipment herd. For example, I'd keep only the Elektra Semiautomatica and Mazzer Super Jolly and sell the Mazzer Robur/Mazzer Mini to free up funds and space.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#8: Post by Compass Coffee »

To answer your question no upgraditits. Sure someday may upgrade from my rotary HX Bric' to a dual boiler but it'll be more for super easy temp management not shot quality increase. (Kind of spoiled with PID'd Linea at my cafe.) And I'll very likely upgrade grinder again at home first.

Your analogy had a big problem I think all too common. With golf you got professional training before deciding on the equipment. Your story sounds like you decided on the espresso equipment, got no training, and expected the machine to produce great shots. The espresso machine is the least important factor!
Mike McGinness

Compass Coffee

#9: Post by Compass Coffee »

Spresso_Bean wrote:I don't have upgraditis anymore, and I actually feel like I have more equipment than I need, but I still hesitate to sell any of it lol. If I was thinking of upgrading to something such as a GS3, I'd probably rather get a nice drum roaster (Diedrich, Ambex, etc.) instead because I am really enjoying the roasting part just as much as pulling shots and making drinks.
If/when you do decide to get a professional grade roaster highly suggest you include US Roaster Corp in your decision research. Know a couple people with the USRC .5k roasters who tested SF & Deidrich before going with USRC. I'm way happy with the roast quality, control and batch size limits of my USRC 3k, it'll run circles around a Diedrich 3k easily doing 8# batches. 10# batch is pushing it but doable in good roast times, but not much profile control, and have a timely cooling problem since the cooling bin wasn't desgned for that big a load and haven't implemented it's in drum water quench capability yet. But hey, it's a rated 3k=7.2# not 10#. :wink:
Mike McGinness

Spresso_Bean

#10: Post by Spresso_Bean »

Compass Coffee wrote:If/when you do decide to get a professional grade roaster highly suggest you include US Roaster Corp in your decision research.
Thanks - yes, I remember hearing great things about USRC. Sure would be nice - maybe some day...
LMWDP #200