Will this Procon pump/motor work with a La Marzocco LINEA?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ccfore

#1: Post by ccfore »

I'm in the middle of refurbishing a La Marzocco Linea 2AV espresso machine. I need to pick up a pump and motor for it, among many other parts. This is listed on eBay, with a buy it now price of $69. + 14. shipping, he has 5 for sale. I was wondering if you think it would fit. I'll certainly buy one if it is the right fit. Thanks.

Stainless Procon Pump With Bodine DC Motor And Control

Used/Tested Working

Stainless Steel Procon Pump With Bodine DC Motor And Control
Procon Model 103B035R32DA170 Pump
170 PSI Maximum
Bodine Electric Company Type 34B3BFBL Motor 24 Volt DC, 3 Ph, 1725 RPM, 10 Amp, 1/6 HP, Continuous Duty
Bodine Electric Company BLDC Motor Control Type ABL-3907CX, 24 Volt DC Output, 1/5 HP
Motor, Pump And Motor Controller Have Been Tested And Are In Working Condition.
No Wiring Harness Is Included. Motor Controller Requires An External 24 Volt DC Power Supply That Is Not Included.
Pump Has Been Flushed With Clean City Water. We Do Not Know What This Was Used To Pump. Further Cleaning Of The Pump If Required Is The Responsibility Of The Purchaser.
Todd / LMWDP #109

Advertisement
shadowfax

#2: Post by shadowfax »

ccfore wrote:We Do Not Know What This Was Used To Pump.
I'm not sure that I would use that. Actually, I am sure I wouldn't.

http://www.synesso.com/AccessoryPriceList.shtml

I can't imagine why the Synesso pump setup wouldn't work for you. $150 for the motor, $110 for the pump. I think that's a pretty good deal.
Nicholas Lundgaard

stefano65
Sponsor

#3: Post by stefano65 »

should work just fine
I suggest a one way valve at the output end
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

LordFoo

#4: Post by LordFoo »

Aside from the mystery/risk of whatever "It Used To Pump", I think that you'd find (AFAIK) that the motor control wires on your Linea are 110/220V AC. The cost of a 24V 10A power supply will be at least another $50-100, not to mention the size (not a problem if you're outboarding) and having to source another part.

ccfore (original poster)

#5: Post by ccfore (original poster) »

LordFoo wrote:Aside from the mystery/risk of whatever "It Used To Pump", I think that you'd find (AFAIK) that the motor control wires on your Linea are 110/220V AC. The cost of a 24V 10A power supply will be at least another $50-100, not to mention the size (not a problem if you're outboarding) and having to source another part.

So, what you are saying is that I can't wire this to my machine without a separate 24V power supply? I assumed he just meant it needed a power source to run it which it will have when wired onto the machine. Then again, I'm not an electrical expert by any means. :?
Todd / LMWDP #109

shadowfax

#6: Post by shadowfax »

I'd be amused to see you wire a 24V DC motor to a 110V AC electrical supply...
Nicholas Lundgaard

ntwkgestapo

#7: Post by ntwkgestapo »

Shadowfax, I would NOT be amused at putting a 24VDC device on 110AC! (And I do understand you were joking!)...

CCFore, you would HAVE to get a 24Volt DC power supply rated at, at least, 10 amps to use this... The controller expects DC (Direct Current) @ 24 volts. Attaching it to 110 Volts AC would, at a minimum, make for a fairly dense smoke screen and could, quite possibly, generate FIRE!
Steve C.
I'm having an out of coffee experience!
LMWDP # 164

Advertisement
shadowfax

#8: Post by shadowfax »

Thanks for clarifying, Stephen. I left out my emoticons by mistake.

Todd, If you're not familiar with wiring and electrical current/voltage/etc. ratings and matching them up, it's probably best to just get parts intended for your machine. I really would recommend the Synesso pump as likely to be a simple integration job, and very inexpensive. Most new pump+motor kits from other places will run you $400-500 or more, at least from what I have seen.
Nicholas Lundgaard

ccfore (original poster)

#9: Post by ccfore (original poster) »

Thanks for the info, I guess that explains the low price. Oh well...the hunt continues.
Todd / LMWDP #109

Ross Leidy

#10: Post by Ross Leidy »

If your machine is 220v, I just found a 1/2hp 220v new GE motor on ebay for $10 for my rebuild project. The 1/2hp is more than I needed and I might have to use a relay to power it (current motor is 1/4 hp), but it was worth the risk for $10. The seller has 8 more of the same if you want to check it out. Here's the auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0282492769

Best of luck on your project,
Ross
Ross Leidy