Which water filter/softener to get?

Water analysis, treatment, and mineral recipes for optimum taste and equipment health.
erik996

#1: Post by erik996 »

I have a direct plumb kit on the way for my Valentina, and it connects directly to the machine (not a float type system in the reservoir) and I want to get a filter/softener for it. This kit runs from my cold water supply and isn't pump driven. What flow rate capability do I need to get (I see 1/2gpm to 1-2/3gpm at EPNW and up to 2.5gpm on other sites)? Do I need one with a reservoir or some kind of capacity or will an in-line filter be fine?

I was thinking something like http://www.espressoparts.com/2014

Are there any favorites out there?

cruzmisl

#2: Post by cruzmisl »

I am not an expert by any stretch but I'll throw my 2 cents in anyway. First, try and stay away from proprietary filters. They are really expensive. Mock up your own filter at wateranywhere.com. May cost $30 or so with fittings and filter.

As far as the softener goes you need to know the hardness/tds of your current tap water. Mine is slightly hard and my softener brings the calcium hardness down to 10ppm (tap is 80ppm) which may be a bit low for the best flavor but very safe for my machine. I plan on installing a "T" to try and customize the water if I can.

Other option is an RO system and a filter to add some minerals back in or mix with tap.

Not familiar with your machine but to ensure the pump doesn't cavitate on boiler refills you should install a holding tank. My T1 was having issues with low flow and it solved it nicely.

Advertisement
zin1953

#3: Post by zin1953 »

Joe is right about proprietary systems . . . I use this
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

erik996 (original poster)

#4: Post by erik996 (original poster) »

I just got off the phone with the water quality person at the local public utility, and she said we have very soft water here, bordering on "too soft," whatever that means. She said we average about 24ppm.

I could go with that Chris Coffee system for filter and softening, even though I don't know if I need a softener.

MDL

#5: Post by MDL »

The system from Chris is fine. However, as suggested earlier in the thread, you can buy all of the same components yourself and save substantial money.

I would at least put a carbon filter onto the line before your machine, even if the water is adequately soft. This will remove organics and particulates.

Ken Fox

#6: Post by Ken Fox »

erik996 wrote:I just got off the phone with the water quality person at the local public utility, and she said we have very soft water here, bordering on "too soft," whatever that means. She said we average about 24ppm.

I could go with that Chris Coffee system for filter and softening, even though I don't know if I need a softener.
Sounds like your water is soft enough that you don't need any sort of water softening. How does the espresso taste? Maybe you don't need to do anything at all to your water.

Some people have a water supply that has lots of particulate matter in the water. This could happen, for example, if your water comes from your own well, or a poorly run local water cooperative. For other people, there is no reason at all to filter the water. One of the reasons that Chris sells companion filters to go along with his softeners, is that the disposable softener cartridges can have some of the resin dislodge, which would then enter your espresso machine. You are in effect using the filter to absorb accidentally released resin. If your water supply is of good quality without significant particulate matter, then you might not need to do ANYTHING with your water, just use it as is.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

erik996 (original poster)

#7: Post by erik996 (original poster) »

I think a charcoal type filter is what I need. I use only filtered water in the machine now and don't particularly like the taste of my tap water; too much chemical/chlorine aftertaste. The penny-pincher in me wants to get the machine plumbed and use it for a few days before I decide if I need a filter. In the long run, I think it's best "just in case." It certainly couldn't hurt to have a filter.

Advertisement
cruzmisl

#8: Post by cruzmisl »

At the very least get a charcoal filter. IMO. Cost will be <$25..a worthwhile investment.

Bluegrod

#9: Post by Bluegrod »

Yeah I would agree that at the very least a carbon filter would be a wise choice but I would also suggest a sediment filter to catch any particles prior to the carbon filter in order to filter out the big stuff before it has a chance to reach the carbon filter as this will shorten the life of the carbon filter by blocking the surface area available to treat the water. The purchase advantage sells a very nice .5 micron sediment filter and if your water is not too dirty you may only have to replace once a year.