Which qualities required in espresso machine? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

What would she think if you donated Mahlkoenigs and Elektras to all your favorite roasters?
Jim Schulman

zin1953

#12: Post by zin1953 »

Plural? I only have one of each . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Eiron

#13: Post by Eiron »

Psyd wrote:... in the end what ends up in the cup is going to be far more dependent on the machinery at the other end of the portafilter. ...
This is, by far, the biggest devil to muck around with any of the details. Humans will always be infinitely more adaptable than basic machinery (not interested in AI discussions here), & having the experience & knowledge to produce desirable results will generally surpass technological advances. Many of us have experienced undrinkable coffees produced by technological wonders that cost more than a midwestern house in the '70's, & then go back home & make something far superior out of a basic brewer that costs less than many of today's skateboards (yes, I have two skateboards to prove it).

All the technology listed & lusted after are merely attempts to duplicate the artistry produced by an experienced "human bean." Learn your craft first (whatever it may be), & you'll discover which technology might advance your creativity. Or, you may realize that you have no need for the technology after all.
He's dead, Jim... You grab his tricorder, I'll get his wallet.

erics
Supporter ★

#14: Post by erics »

Which qualities required in espresso machine?
A technician signed paper describing what the selling dealer did to the machine as received from the manufacturer, i.e. what was checked, what adjustments were made and a list of the operating parameters for that specific machine. Boiler pressure was set to ____ , Brew pressure was set to ____, etc., etc.

A well written owners manual which would include an illustrated parts breakdown, an electrical diagram, a hydraulics diagram, a troubleshooting section, and a guide to preparing espresso with coffee representative of that country in which the machine is sold.

A contact sheet for ordering an overhaul and/or hardcore repair manual.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

trzynkaa

#15: Post by trzynkaa »

I'll vote for repeatability, thinking that with practice I can learn the appropriate voodoo necessary to make it do what I want. I would also like the ability to adjust the machine operating parameters and have appropriate machine feedback so I can learn which voodoo works and which does not work.
Technical documentation for the machine would also be important.