Which Cafelat XT portafilter for Bezzera BZ group?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Carneiro

#1: Post by Carneiro »

Hello there!

Did anybody try CMA or Gaggia SS portafilters from cafelat on Bezzera BZ machines (BZ07, BZ09, BZ10 etc)? I think they are the most similar to Bezzera's, lugs position and size-wise but I wonder which one is better...

Thanks!

DeGaulle

#2: Post by DeGaulle »

I raised this very question to Cafelat the other day. The preliminary answer was that the Bosco/Londinium Portafilter will probably fit, but after sending them some pics of my BZ10 stock PF I am waiting for their confirmation. I will let you know when I get this.
Bert

Carneiro (original poster)

#3: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

No news from them, Bert?

Maybe we could exchange information about the dimensions of the portafilters, but we would need help from Londinium, Gaggia, CMA and Nuova Simonelli. I remember NS portafilter has very big tabs... I have the Gaggia Achille PF to measure/test at my modded BZ.

Thanks!

Márcio.

DeGaulle

#4: Post by DeGaulle »

Hi Marcio,

Unfortunately I didn't receive a reply from Cafelat, despite refreshing my query a little over a month ago. I just tried to measure the outer diameter on my PF and the dimensions of the ears, but the battery of my digital caliper died, so I will get back to you after I have got myself a replacement.
Bert

#5: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Today I tried a Gaggia PF in the BZ group and it's a no go. The PF is from a Gaggia Achille.

The diameter including the ears/tabs is 78.2mm (without them is 69.5mm), the tabs are 22.6mm and 23.1mm long and from 6.2mm to 7mm thick. Height of the rim is 3mm. The problem is that the tabs are too thick.

The Bezzera PF is 79.5 mm (71mm without the ears), around 25mm long and from 4.7mm to 5.5mm thick eats. The height of the rim is around 3mm too. It matches the measure Bert sent me.

I found some numbers of the Astoria bottomless PF that Espresso Parts sell, and they are very close. It's said to have 6mm thick tabs. Maybe is not so good with the original 9.3mm gasket, that is very tight for the BZ PF. Here I use the new oring gasket that's 8mm thick, and the BZ PF locks in a little bit further (the oring gasket seems to be more flexible than the flat and less prone to slippage - I like it a lot).

If anybody can confirm the Astoria portafilter dimensions, as well as measure a Londinium/Bosco PF, you are very welcome!

Márcio.

Paul_Pratt

#6: Post by Paul_Pratt »

DeGaulle wrote:Hi Marcio,

Unfortunately I didn't receive a reply from Cafelat, despite refreshing my query a little over a month ago. I just tried to measure the outer diameter on my PF and the dimensions of the ears, but the battery of my digital caliper died, so I will get back to you after I have got myself a replacement.
Hi Bert,

As we said before, according to the parts catalogs the portafilter is the same as the Astoria Lever group. However I do not have a Bezzera group to test, it is the only one we do not have on hand to test.

Paul

DeGaulle

#7: Post by DeGaulle »

Paul,

Below is a pic of the bottomless PF with the rim above the ear and the rim of the backflush filter (3.1 mm), which seem to be be flush.

cheers
Bert

#8: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

Well, I'll probably try the Astoria PF...

As even the original PF locks in around 90° very tight using the 9.3mm conical gasket, I certainly would suggest different gasket for any PF for the Bezzera group.

I tried silicon 8.5mm gasket but the PF tends to slip (at the Faema Velox no problem, so it must be an issue with BZ). Nowadays, with the oring 8mm gasket it's firm and there is some room for more material.

Paul, is the Londinium/Bosco PF much different of the Astoria?

Thanks!

Marcio.

slipchuck

#9: Post by slipchuck »

Carneiro wrote:Hello there!

Did anybody try CMA or Gaggia SS portafilters from cafelat on Bezzera BZ machines (BZ07, BZ09, BZ10 etc)? I think they are the most similar to Bezzera's, lugs position and size-wise but I wonder which one is better...

Thanks!
Why did you want a different portafilter then a Bezzera?
Just had to ask :)

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

#10: Post by Carneiro (original poster) »

My post wasn't clear, sorry.

I could buy a bottomless PF, but then I thought about a Cafelat XT for the praticity and easy to clean of their PF - we do pull a lot split double for us (the machine is at work) and require the bottom and spouts most of the time. As they don't have a specific PF for the BZ I was wondering which other one could be the best fit.

Marcio.