When does a Semi become a Super?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Endo

#1: Post by Endo »

We are adding PID's to many of the semi-autos these days. What kind of extra automation would you like in your semi-auto machine? How much would you consider "too much" (i.e. super-auto).
"Disclaimer: All troll-like comments are my way of discussing"

Gus

#2: Post by Gus »

I don't want any extra automation in my espresso machine. Having the ability to set and maintain or alter a specific brew temp does not begin to qualify as super auto. It is simply enhanced temperature management.

Super auto means the machine does everything and the users simply drinks coffee. A super auto grinds, doses, brews, froths milk, and cleans itself. The only thing the user has to do is keep beans in the hopper and select the desired drink button. I know there is regular maintenance for cleaning out the waste but that's a given.

The only thing I can think of out of that list that I would like my machine to do for me, would be to run its own cleaning cycle. That would qualify for self cleaning but not super auto.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

Endo (original poster)

#3: Post by Endo (original poster) »

I think being able to manually adjust the pressure and temperature during a shot would not qualiify as a super-auto either.

On the the other hand, if you were able to program intrashot temperature and pressure, this would no doubt be a very complicated machine, but would it qualify as a super-auto? Maybe a Super-Semi?

Mark08859

#4: Post by Mark08859 »

Gus wrote:Super auto means the machine does everything and the users simply drinks coffee. A super auto grinds, doses, brews, froths milk, and cleans itself. The only thing the user has to do is keep beans in the hopper and select the desired drink button. I know there is regular maintenance for cleaning out the waste but that's a given.

The only thing I can think of out of that list that I would like my machine to do for me, would be to run its own cleaning cycle. That would qualify for self cleaning but not super auto.
Agreed for definition and cleaning. Some easier form of descaling would be nice. Bear in mind that there is a category of Full-Auto machines (usually where one can program shot volume) between semi and super.

Endo (original poster)

#5: Post by Endo (original poster) »

My Vivaldi has programmable shot volume and temperature control, but I wouldn't call it a automatic.

So what defines a:
  • semi-auto
    automatic
    fully automatic
    super automatic

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

Actually, the defining separator between a semi auto and auto is the programmable volumetric shot. A semi auto uses a lever or button to switch on and off, the auto requires the push of one button and it turns off automatically after a pre programmed volume has passed through the flow meter. A super auto does everything, push a button and it grinds, doses, tamps, pulls a shot of swill that is supposed to be espresso, then dumps the puck and is ready for another button push for another drink.
Dave Stephens

Gus

#7: Post by Gus »

Yep.

I was going to make a longer post describing Semi-auto, auto, and super auto, but I figured it was covered in machines 101 a 201.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

Endo (original poster)

#8: Post by Endo (original poster) »

Gus wrote: I was going to make a longer post describing Semi-auto, auto, and super auto, but I figured it was covered in machines 101 a 201.
Guess I should have taken those courses. I bought an auto without even knowing it. :lol:

Psyd

#9: Post by Psyd »

cannonfodder wrote:Actually, the defining separator between a semi auto and auto is the programmable volumetric shot. A semi auto uses a lever or button to switch on and off, the auto requires the push of one button and it turns off automatically after a pre programmed volume has passed through the flow meter.
What is it if it has a switch and volumetric dosing buttons? A semi-semi-automatic? Demi-automatic? Selective-fire machines? ; >
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

shadowfax

#10: Post by shadowfax »

Endo wrote:Guess I should have taken those courses. I bought an auto without even knowing it. :lol:
Indeed. You can find Espresso Machines 101 and Espresso Machines 201 in the Site Resources and FAQ and Favorites Digest. You won't find 201 of much use if you're using a double boiler, since it's just a link to the HX Love article. In any case, the articles can certainly help with finding the widely accepted meanings of common espresso terms.
Psyd wrote:What is it if it has a switch and volumetric dosing buttons? A semi-semi-automatic? Demi-automatic? Selective-fire machines? ; >
Still an automatic. All of the ones I have ever seen and used feature a continuous dosing button that acts like a brew switch on a semi-automatic.
Nicholas Lundgaard