When does a Semi become a Super? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Compass Coffee

#11: Post by Compass Coffee »

Psyd wrote:What is it if it has a switch and volumetric dosing buttons? A semi-semi-automatic? Demi-automatic? Selective-fire machines? ; >
An automatic that can also be run as a semi-automatic, which is the norm.
Mike McGinness

Psyd

#12: Post by Psyd »

Compass Coffee wrote:An automatic that can also be run as a semi-automatic, which is the norm.
It's been my experience (small as it is, and most very possibly inaccurate, too) that most semis have an on-off switch (or, off-pre-on) of some sort, and autos have a set of dose switches. Mine has both, a set of programmable volumetric pads and a separate on-off switch.

Or have I just not been paying close enough attention?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Advertisement
Compass Coffee

#13: Post by Compass Coffee replying to Psyd »

Exactly. My Linea(s) are the same. Programmable volumetic touch pads and manual on/off rocker which allows manual usage should the brain fry. With Linea one of the pads is also manual mode toggling group flow on/off. Whether manual operation is with a mechanical or touch-pad type switch doesn't matter, manual on manual off makes it semi-automatic operation. If a particular auto machine didn't have a manual mechanical or pad switch no biggy, program one of the switches for an absurd amount forcing you to either manually stop the shot or end up with a quart or more of foul brown liquid!
Mike McGinness

Psyd

#14: Post by Psyd »

Compass Coffee wrote:program one of the switches for an absurd amount forcing you to either manually stop the shot
Yeah, a second push of any volumetric button stops it where it sits.

Odd, the last time I had this conversation, it seemed that both were 'unheard of' and rather rare. I haven't done any research or anything, or paid that awful much attention to other volumetric dosing machines, but just other espresso hounds and their machines.
I did notice them on the GB5 when I got to play with a couple of them along the way, but other than the Astorias, I haven't noticed any others.
I bet I see about a hundred of them in the next month, though!
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

shadowfax

#15: Post by shadowfax »

My Elektra looks like this:

Image source: CafeParts.com

I believe this is an old La Marzocco Linea panel:

That eagle/star/squiggle/program button is pretty typical of automatics from what I've seen:

On my Elektra, it initiates programming mode when the key is turned to programming mode. However, in day to day usage, pressing it activates brewing, and it operates continuously till that button is pressed again. I understand there are variations (sometimes it's the universal "early stop" button for the panel). I'm curious how they work on your average "machine that's not mine." IIRC the Astoria Gloria programming button works as I've described, but it's been awhile since I used one.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Psyd

#16: Post by Psyd »

shadowfax wrote:IIRC the Astoria Gloria programming button works as I've described, but it's been awhile since I used one.
The Astorias have a separate hidden switch to program, under the warming tray. They also have a separate, manual, physical, lighted on-off toggle for each group, that turns the group on and off.
It's an entirely separate semi-automatic set-up, with an automatic setup next to it. It's just ever so slightly different from using an auto in semi fashion. If the auto membrane switch pad were removed and disconnected, I could still use this as a semi. It's as if a semi-automatic machine had an automatic setup added to it.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

zin1953

#17: Post by zin1953 »

Let's not forget "manual" in terms of pump-driven machines . . . also known in some circles as a "levetta," not to be confused with a "manual lever" machine, as opposed to a "spring-operated lever machine."

So in the world of pump-driven machines, we really have:
  1. Manually-operated "levetta" machine (example);
  2. Semi-automatic machine (example);
  3. Automatic, aka Volumetrically-dosed, machine (example -- 2nd picture from the top); and
  4. Super-automatic machine (example).
Or did I leave something out?
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Advertisement
Compass Coffee

#18: Post by Compass Coffee replying to zin1953 »

True enough. Though some A's are actually just B's with the levetta activating the switch while other A's have attributes B's lack - manual line pressure pre-infusion in mid position. Then there are paddle groups which could be considered levettas top group mounted versus E61 style...
Mike McGinness